This decadently flavorful, creamy Salmon Dip will be the hit at your next party. In less than 5 minutes and with just 3 simple ingredients, you'll have an elegant party appetizer that'll impress your guests.
Creamy Salmon Dip
This could possibly be the easiest Salmon Dip recipe you will ever come across! Unlike other salmon dips that require cream cheese, plain Greek yogurt, egg yolks, and sour cream, we take a different approach. Less is more. Just three simple ingredients.
This is the kind of appetizer your guests will definitely ask for the recipe. And whenever I've made this recipe for a party or gettogether, it's amongst the first things to go. Thankfully it's one of those easy recipes you can easily make more of!
Unlike in a salmon cream cheese dip, the consistency of this dip is less dense and much creamier. It also allows the flavors to develop better. Forget those store-bought dips that never live up to their reputation.
It is the perfect dip to make when entertaining guests during the holiday season! Place in a small bowl and serve with bagel chips, cucumber slices, carrot strips, olives, or crackers.
Why This Recipe Works
EASE - This dip is the absolute definition of a fuss-free recipe! No cooking, no chopping, and clean-up is a breeze! Just dump all the simple ingredients in a food processor, blitz, and serve.
PARTY TIME - This is an impressive but easy-to-prepare dip that works for almost every occasion. Serve it with crackers, and veggies for Thanksgiving, Super Bowl, or bring it to a summer picnic. If you're looking for easy brunch recipes, this dip should be top of the list. It always works.
HEALTHY - This easy dip is full of fish protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin C. And who doesn't like healthy recipes? This one is also gluten-free and has less oil and fats than the classic. It is also 100% free of any artificial flavors and additives such as xanthan gum or potassium sorbate. The kind of additive you'll always find in storebought dips.
FLAVORS - Because we're working with a limited number of ingredients, the individual flavors really come out beautifully. If you know you have salmon lovers in your crowd, increase the smoked salmon and add up to 12 ounces of salmon to this recipe. And you can easily make the dip saltier by increasing the amount of capers. I would suggest taking it easy and increasing the amount of capers by ¼ teaspoon.
CUSTOMIZABLE. This recipe is delicious as it is! But if you prefer to add fresh herbs, spices, or fresh lemon zest, that is entirely up to you. I advise against using too many, though, so you won't lose that delicate salmon flavor.
For a printable list of ingredients and instructions please check the recipe card below.
SMOKED SALMON - Look for quality smoked salmon. Costco has a good selection. Especially if you want to double, triple or quadruple the recipe! You don't want to use fresh salmon for this recipe.
CREAM - Heavy whipping cream gives the dip a rich flavor and light and fluffy texture!
CAPERS - You'll only need a small amount to add a whole lot of bold flavors to your dip. Because capers are quite salty, you don't need to add any additional salt.
SEASONING - All you need are a dash of fresh black pepper. And even that's optional.
Variations and Additions
- SEASONING - You can add a teaspoon of garlic powder if you like. It works well but I don't use it, because I think the recipe has enough flavors.
- GARNISH - You have a few choices when it comes to garnishing. Sprinkle the dip with some fresh dill, parsley, or green onions before serving.
- LEMON - Add a splash of fresh lemon juice. But remember that the capers already add a lot of flavors, so I suggest first trying the recipe as is.
- Another wonderful way to enjoy this dip is to use it on sandwiches. Just spread it over toasted bread, and stack it up with red onion rings, tomato slices, and lettuce leaves!
How To Make This Recipe
Place all three ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until it is well combined and creamy! Place it in a pretty serving bowl and add some garnish if you like.
When entertaining a larger crowd, make a party snack station and add serve some of my other easy dip recipes. I recommend our Cannoli Dip for those who prefer something sweet.
Make this healthy salmon dip ahead of time and keep it in an airtight container or cover the bowl with plastic wrap. It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
The dip will harden as it chills. Remove from the fridge about 15 minutes before serving. Give it a quick whisk and place it into a serving bowl.
Recipe Success Tips
- It's an easy recipe to make a day ahead. Store in an airtight container overnight and easily serve it the next day.
- If you are using frozen smoked salmon, thaw it overnight in the fridge or for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- No food processor? No worries! You can use a blender or a hand mixer instead.
- If you prefer it less salty and tangy, wash the capers before adding them to the mix.
If You Like This Dip, Try These
- Taco Dip - 3 ingredients + your favorite toppings
- Hot Spinach Dip - creamy, cheesy, and perfect for dipping
- Warm Buffalo Chicken Dip - creamy and perfect for game day
- Dill Dip - creamy dip that takes less than 10 minutes to make
Smoked Salmon Dip
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon capers
- Combine salmon heavy cream and capers in a food processor. Blend until well combined, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with cracked black pepper.