Say hello to Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes! Their crispy edges and soft centers make these potatoes more than just a side dish. They're the quick and easy answer to "What should I make with dinner tonight?"
This is a recipe you can truly enjoy all year long. For instance, it's the perfect side dish for Cast Iron Chicken Thighs, one of my family's favorite chicken recipes.
While I like a good sweet potato casserole and mashed sweet potatoes as much as the next person, I'll admit that I've replaced those dishes with this recipe multiple times.
Why This Honey-Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe Works
EASY DINNERS - Once you've peeled and diced the sweet potatoes and tossed them in a quick honey-lemon mix, all that's left is roasting. Super simple!
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS - Just a handful of kitchen staples are all you need.
ROASTING - Oven-roasted veggies are a fast and tasty way to elevate any meal.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
SWEET POTATOES - Opt for medium-sized sweet potatoes. They are more flavorful than the larger ones.
OLIVE OIL - Extra virgin is the way to go for higher-heat cooking like roasting. I recommend using extra virgin olive oil. It has a higher smoke point than regular olive oil, and I've never had issues roasting sweet potatoes at 425º Fahrenheit.
TIP - Costco sells a good, inexpensive extra virgin olive oil. The only thing I don't love is that they use plastic bottles. The best extra virgin olive oils are stored in dark glass bottles.
BUTTER - Stick with unsalted butter.
LEMON - Both zest and juice work their magic here.
HONEY - Quality matters, so go for the good stuff.
MAPLE SYRUP - Swap honey with pure Maple syrup (but not Pancake syrup).
ADD SOME HEAT - Add a dash of chili powder or red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
CINNAMON AND NUTMEG - Sprinkle the sweet potatoes with a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon. The version is perfect for the holidays.
SALT - If you have sea salt, use it.
COCONUT OIL - A good alternative if you are trying to avoid butter.
How To Make Honey-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- PREP - Heat oven to 425° Fahrenheit and prepare a foil-lined baking sheet. Cut and season sweet potatoes.
- MIX - Melt butter in a pan and add olive oil, lemon, and honey. Simmer for a minute.
- COAT - Toss sweet potatoes in the honey-lemon butter.
- ROAST - Place on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. Check and add time if needed.
Recipe Success Tips
A good rule of thumb is that anything you can do with a regular potato can also do with a sweet potato. From sweet potato fries, sweet potato wedges, and sweet potato skins to Mashed Sweet Potatoes, they are incredibly versatile and fun to work with.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Store Sweet Potatoes
Store sweet potatoes in a dark, dry place. Do not refrigerate sweet potatoes.
How To Store Cut Sweet Potatoes Ahead Of Time
You can prepare them 3 to 4 days ahead of time by peeling and chopping them. Once chopped, store them in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid and keep them in the refrigerator. This method helps maintain their freshness and ensures they're ready to use when needed.
Sweet Potatoes vs. Yams
Let's talk about it. Although the terms are often used interchangeably, they are two different vegetables. So why are they often mislabeled? The theory is that it was used to differentiate between orange and pale sweet potatoes.
- Can grow much larger
- Their flesh varies between off-white and purple.
- They are starchier
- It is best if you always peel yams because their skin can irritate our digestive system.
- They come in dark orange and pale yellow; some have purple flesh.
- Pale sweet potatoes have a thinner yellow skin and yellow flesh.
- They are pretty soft and similar to baked potatoes.
Nutritional Benefits of Roasted Sweet Potatoes
These are some but not all perks if you include sweet potatoes in your diet.
- HIGH IN VITAMIN A - This can promote good vision, a stronger immune system, and better bone health.
- RICH IN VITAMIN C - Can lower bad cholesterol ('LDL'), strengthen your immune system, lower blood pressure, and much more.
- HIGH IN FIBER - This can help you to feel full longer.
More Popular Comfort Food Recipes
OLD-FASHIONED POTATO SOUP - Rich and creamy loaded potato soup.
SHRIMP LO MEIN - An easy 30-minute recipe perfect for when you want a delicious one-pot dinner that is easy to make.
PIZZA CASSEROLE - Your favorite pizza toppings turned into a hearty casserole.
EASY CHEESY CHICKEN PARMESAN - The ultimate midweek comfort food.
BEE STING CAKE - An easy version of one of Germany's most popular cakes.
Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Add to a large bowl and season with salt.
MAKING THE HONEY-LEMON BUTTER
- Add butter and olive oil to a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until the butter has melted. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, and honey. Simmer for one minute on low heat.
- Pour the honey-lemon butter over the sweet potatoes. Toss well to make sure the sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Transfer sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. Check for doneness and add additional time if needed.