Chicken Parmesan is the ultimate comfort food.
Juicy, tender, and crispy breaded chicken is baked to perfection in flavorful tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheese!
What could be better than breaded chicken? It's got great texture and flavor and is topped with gooey melted cheese! Simple, homemade, and delicious!
Take it from somebody who has worked in the restaurant business for a long time. A great Chicken Parmesan is easy and delicious comfort food that will please the entire family.
But you don't need to be in a restaurant to enjoy this dish. This is an easy and great homemade meal.
Why This Recipe Works
EASY - This is the best Chicken Parmesan recipe if you are looking for a super cheesy and really easy-to-make version of this restaurant classic. The secret is that you can very easily make this recipe in your own kitchen. And you don't need to be a 5-star chef!
INGREDIENTS - You only need 7 ingredients plus your favorite pasta. And chances are you don't even have to go to the supermarket. Chicken, eggs, parmesan, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, and breadcrumbs are all you need to make this super simple dish.
PARTY FOOD - Chicken Parmesan makes excellent party food. I worked in catering for 15 years, and it's been consistently one of the most beloved dinner items. It holds up very well in a chafing dish.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
CHICKEN - Chicken breasts work very well and are what I recommend. But you can also use chicken tenders. However, you won't be able to butterfly those, so instead, simply use the meat tenderizer to flatten them.
BREAD CRUMBS - I highly recommend using Panko bread crumbs because you will end up with crispier chicken cutlets. But if all you have is plain bread crumbs go ahead and use those.
CHEESE - To create this extra cheesy recipe, we'll use both Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cut half of the mozzarella into thin slices (try to get between 6 and 9 slices) and grate the remaining cheese. Grate the parmesan cheese.
EGGS - Use two large eggs and whisk them in a shallow bowl beforehand.
BREADCRUMBS - I highly recommend using Panko breadcrumbs.
I recently made this recipe with plain breadcrumbs. It still tasted nice. But trust me, there's a world of difference between panko-crusted chicken and a plain breadcrumb-crusted chicken. The panko crust is crispier and simply more delicious.
PASTA SAUCE - Use your favorite tomato pasta sauce for this recipe. Marinara or Tomato & Basil are some delicious choices. Over the last few years, we've been partial to Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce which is simply divine.
FLOUR - When it's time to bread the chicken, you can add an additional step and first dredge the chicken in all-purpose flour, shake off the excess, bathe it in the egg mixture, and then add it to the parmesan bread crumb mix.
But I have found that this step isn't necessary for this recipe. A simple egg wash before dipping it in the panko-breadcrumb mix is the method I recommend.
How To Make This Chicken Parmesan Recipe
For more detailed measurements and instructions, please check the printable recipe card below.
- BUTTERFLY chicken, tenderize with a meat mallet, and season with salt and black pepper.
- DIP chicken in egg wash and cover with parmesan-panko breadcrumb mixture.
- FRY the chicken in olive oil until golden brown on each side.
- TRANSFER the chicken to a casserole dish. Add your favorite tomato sauce (we love this one).
- TOP with fresh Mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
📌 Save This Chicken Parmesan Recipe!
- BAKE on the middle rack for 15 minutes at 450º Fahrenheit. Serve over pasta.
Optional: Garnish with fresh basil.
NOTE: As with all chicken recipes, make sure that the chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165º Fahrenheit.
Leftovers and Storage
How long does chicken parmesan last in the refrigerator?
STORE - If you're wondering how long Chicken Parmesan lasts, here's the quick answer. If you place the leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the fridge, they will last up to 3 days.
Use the leftover Chicken Parm to make a delicious Chicken Parmesan Sandwich.
To make this most delicious sandwich, simply reheat the chicken. Slice and lightly toast your favorite sandwich bread (try focaccia bread!). Add the chicken and top with a few basil leaves. Simply divine.
- Method: The Oven - The best way to reheat Chicken Parm is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 300º Fahrenheit. Place in an oven-safe dish, cover with aluminum foil and reheat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Method: Stovetop - Place the chicken, sauce, and cheese in a large skillet and reheat over medium heat.
- Method: Microwave - Place the chicken parmesan in a microwave-safe dish and select the reheat function. Depending on your microwave, it will take 3-5 minutes to reheat.
- Method 3: Airfryer - Preheat the air fryer to 325º Fahrenheit and place the chicken in the basket. Set the timer for 5 minutes.
FREEZE - If you're wondering if you can freeze-cooked Chicken Parmesan. The simple answer is yes.
Freezer Method 1 - If you are making a larger batch of fried chicken, I recommend freezing the fried chicken without the sauce and cheese. Place into a freezer-safe container or bag. It will last up to three months in the freezer.
Freezer Method 2 - If you want to freeze leftovers, you can do it. Wrap the cooked chicken cutlets (including sauce and cheese) with plastic wrap. Then wrap the plastic chicken cutlet in aluminum foil and place it in a freezer-safe bag.
Opinion: I don't recommend the freezer method 2. It's a bit messy, and chances are you will be disappointed once you reheat the chicken.
What Goes With Chicken Parmesan?
Spaghetti pasta is the classic, of course, you can serve it over any kind of pasta.
If you're looking for a fun twist on classic spaghetti pasta, you serve it over a side of Spätzle.
A side of garlic bread is delicious with this dinner! Some might even say it's a must. 😉
And if you're looking to add some veggies, try serving it with a side of broccoli or cauliflower.
How Long Does Chicken Parmesan Last In The Fridge?
Allow the Chicken Parmesan to cool and transfer it into an airtight container. The Chicken Parmesan will last for 3 days.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
HAM & NOODLE CASSEROLE - a hearty German casserole dish
LAZY LASAGNA - easy 4-ingredient lasagna perfect for busy weeknights
BAKED FETA PASTA - the pasta dish that went crazy on TikTok
BAKED ZITI - tender pasta in a rich, creamy, and cheesy tomato sauce
LASAGNA ROLLS - a deliciously creative twist on classic lasagna.
Did you try our Cheesy Chicken Parmesan? Awesome! Please take a moment to rate the recipe below!
Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 16 ounces pasta spaghetti, fettuccini, linguini or a pasta of your choice
Breaded Chicken Cutlets
- ¼-⅓ cup olive oil extra virgin
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, cover, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450º Fahrenheit.
- Cut 6-9 thin slices of Mozzarella cheese. Grate the remaining Mozzarella. Set aside.Grate 1 cup of Parmesan cheese. ½ cup for the breading and ½ cup to sprinkle on top of the marinara sauce.
- Prepare two shallow dishes. The first dish is for the eggs. Use a fork to lightly beat the eggs. In the second dish combine ½ cup of Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Butterfly the chicken. Cover with plastic foil and pound with a meat tenderizer (or a rolling pin) until the slices are thin and tender. Season each side with salt and pepper.
- Dip each slice of chicken into the egg wash. Make sure the chicken is fully coated. Transfer the chicken into the bowl with the parmesan-panko breadcrumb mixture and coat well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once hot transfer the chicken into the frying pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides. About 3-5 minutes per side.
- Use 2-3 tablespoons of pasta sauce and spread across a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Transfer fried chicken into the casserole dish and coat it with the remaining pasta sauce. Top with mozzarella slices. Sprinkle with the remaining grated Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the chicken for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve Chicken Parmesan over pasta. Optional: Garnish wit fresh basil and enjoy.