There’s a reason hot spinach dip is such a popular party dip. It’s deliciously creamy, cheesy, and perfect for dipping bread, crostini, or tortilla chips.
This recipe combines just three main ingredients: spinach, cream sauce, and cheese. Season with just a dash of cayenne pepper to add some heat to this palate pleaser.
Spinach Dip is perfect for game nights with the family and friends, or ladies night with your besties. Best of all is very easy to make. In just about 20 minutes you can have a warm appetizer on the table.
What Is In Spinach Dip?
Warm Spinach Dip is made with a few simple ingredients
- SPINACH – You can use fresh spinach or frozen spinach. I prefer fresh baby spinach because it’s something that I stock in my fridge year-round.
- CREAM SAUCE – For this recipe, we make a basic cream sauce with onions, heavy cream, and just a little bit of garlic for flavor and texture.
- CHEESE – While I like convenient solutions that cut on time and prep, I’m a strong advocate for always using a block of cheese instead of shredded cheese. Parmesan (and other cheeses as well) just melt better. And you don’t have to worry about any fillers and preservatives, you typically find in pre-shredded cheeses.
- SOUR CREAM – Adding a bit of sour cream gives this dip recipe a teeny bit of a delicious tang.
- SEASONING – Add a dash of cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
How To Make Spinach Dip
This dip recipe is very easy to make.
- The first step is to make the cream sauce. Use a large skillet (with lid) and melt butter and olive oil. Add garlic and onions to the skillet and cover with the lid. Sauté the garlic and onions until they are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and whisk vigorously for about 1 minute. Add the broth, heavy cream, and to the mixture and bring to a simmer
- . Next, add the shredded parmesan cheese. Cook until the cheese has completely melted.
- Add the fresh baby spinach to the cheese sauce. It’s going to be very bulky at first.
- After successfully adding the baby spinach to the skillet cover it with a lid and cook for 5-8 minutes until the spinach.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt. Voilá, you’ve got yourself a creamy spinach dip.
Make it ahead
You can make the spinach dip ahead of time. If you choose to do, store the spinach dip in the fridge until about 5 minutes before you’re ready to serve it. Reheat the dip in a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
More Delicious Dips & Dressings
- Taco Dip – Perfect for game day.
- Dill Dip
- Ranch Dressing – America’s favorite dressing & dip!
- Parsley Pesto
- Chipotle Mayo – Perfect for dipping sweet potato fries!
- Use a large pan to melt the butter with the olive oil.
- Sauté chopped onions and minced garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes until tender.
- Whisk in flour and cook for a minute. Slowly pour in broth and whipping cream into the mixture and whisk until the mixture begins to boil and thicken. Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Add the fresh baby spinach to the cheese sauce. It's going to be very bulky at first. Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer for 3 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and add the sour cream and a dash of cayenne pepper. Season to taste with salt.