This ultimate easy homemade French Onion Dip will make your next party an event to remember. A creamy, tangy base and deliciously sweet caramelized onions result in rich flavors that never disappoint.
Why This Homemade French Onion Dip Recipe Works
HOMEMADE + FRESH - This homemade version is more delicious and cheaper than the French Onion Dip you'll find in the grocery store. For years Trader Joe's French Onion Dip was my go-to. But one day, I realized I could make a much better version at home. And it's so much better.
PARTY DIP - This recipe is a great, easy-to-prep ahead party dip for movie night or game day.
EASY TO MAKE - Sauté the onions and mix with the remaining ingredients. This is all you've got to do to make your own homemade French Onion Dip. Forget about the french onion soup mix dips. This recipe is so much tastier.
SCALE - Got a big crowd? This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. You will need a large skillet, though. Or simply sauté the onions in batches.
ONIONS - Use sweet or yellow onions. They work well in this recipe because they caramelize so well. Follow the process, and you'll be amazed at how sweet onions are.
What about Red Onions? When I tested my French Onion Soup recipe, I tried to find the perfect caramelized onion mixture. And I tried every onion I could get my hands on, from red onions to Vidalia onions.
In the end, sweet and yellow onions resulted in the most delicious caramelized onions.
BROWN SUGAR - It adds an extra layer of sweetness.
BALSAMIC VINEGAR - This is my "secret ingredient." The one ingredient that puts this dip over the top. You can use any good quality balsamic vinegar. I happen to love the from Trader Joe's.
GARLIC POWDER - Add a little punch without overpowering the dip.
CHIVES - Optional but a nice garnish that adds a pop of color.
SOUR CREAM and MAYONNAISE - The ultimate combination for a creamy base.
GREEK YOGURT - If you want to cut down on calories, you can substitute sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. To make it even healthier, you can replace sour cream and mayonnaise with Greek Yogurt.
CREAM CHEESE - Cream cheese is your best option if you like a firmer dip. And if you choose to use cream cheese, allow it to rise to room temperature.
BACON - If you want to turn this dip into the ultimate caramelized onion dip, fry three slices of bacon. And mix with the caramelized onions.
SCALLIONS - You might know scallion as green onions. They are quite literally the same thing. And another fun garnish option for this easy dip.
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE - I like simple flavors that work well together. Add a teaspoon or two if you want to add more complexity and add a bit of an umami flavor.
PEPPER - I don't add any pepper to my dip. But if you want to add a bit of heat, try a dash of cayenne pepper.
How To Make The Best French Onion Dip
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS. Heat olive oil, add diced onions, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder. Simmer until tender and deep golden brown color. About 20 minutes.
- CREAM BASE. In a large bowl, whisk sour cream and mayonnaise until well combined. Fold the lightly cooled caramelized onions into the creamy sour cream base.
- GARNISH. Drizzle the dip with fresh chives or green onions.
TIP - Don't rush the caramelization process. Keep the heat at low to medium-low.
Slow and steady wins the (flavor) race. This slowly allows the natural sweetness of the onion to shine.
In my house, we like crinkle-cut potato chips. But you can use plain potato chips, bagel chips, or even pita chips.
Of course, you can also choose to dip your favorite veggies!
If You Like This Dip, Try These Savory Dips, Too!
- Cucumber Dip - great for dipping veggies and crackers
- Taco Dip - perfect for game night
- Warm Spinach Dip - ooey-gooey oven-baked dip
- Smoked Salmon Dip - three-ingredient creamy smoked salmon dip
- Canoli Dip - Perfect sweet but not too sweet dip.
- Dunkaroo Dip - A recreation of a childhood favorite
French Onion Dip
- ¼ cup chives finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add diced onions.
- Simmer onions gently over medium-low heat. Stir in brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder.
- Continue to simmer for 20 minutes or until the onions are brown, sweet, and tender. If desired season with salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk sour cream, mayonnaise, and until well combined. Fold in caramelized onions. Garnish with chives.