Bask in the goodness of freshly baked, moist Apple Cake full of warm and cozy fall flavors in every bite.
There're few things as satisfying as the first bites of a fall desserts. No matter if you like a classic desserts like an Apple Crisp or a treat with an interesting twist like our Sweet Potato Pecan Pie.
This home-style baked treat is flavored with cinnamon and vanilla and flecked with crunchy apple bits. It is a delicious cake that is ready to go in the oven in just 15 minutes.
Apples and cinnamon are undoubtedly some of the best fall flavor combinations out there! Nothing beats the merge of sweet and tart apples with cinnamon spice's warm, sharp, and citrusy tones.
This simple cake recipe is yet another proof of this fact.
If you are new to baking and would like to make a first good impression, this apple cake recipe is a great way to start. It is one of the easiest cakes you can ever make.
I love how something so simple to make can turn out mouthwateringly good! The hardest part in making this is waiting for it to bake while it fills your kitchen with its irresistible aroma.
Why We Love This Recipe
Ease. You can make this cake from scratch by following a few simple steps and using an electric mixer and your oven. Everything comes together in just a few minutes! And before you know it, you have a perfectly golden, delicious cake made to impress.
Simplicity. All you need are 10 ingredients to make it. Most of them are baking staples that you should already have in your pantry or fridge. Once you have the fresh apples, you are all set!
Fall Classic. This cake is filled with fragrant fall spices and sweet and tart fresh apples.
Customizable. You can keep it simple and enjoy it as it is. Or, serve it with various toppings to make it extra special!
For a printable ingredient checklist please check the recipe card.
- Granny Smith Apples: Should be peeled and coarsely grated. I love how these tart green apples keep the cake from getting overly sweet. They are also crisp, firm, and juicy- perfect for baking!
- Eggs: Adds moisture and structure to the cake.
- Sugar: Gives the cake the perfect amount of sweetness. You can use brown sugar or granulated white sugar.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter at room temperature for best results.
- Vanilla extract: Gives the cake a mild floral flavor and aroma.
- Flour: I used all-purpose flour, which resulted in a perfectly moist and soft cake.
Variations and Additions
- Apples: the best apples for baking are Honeycrisp apples, Fuji apples, or Golden Delicious apples. Jonagold, Pink Lady, and Braeburns are good choices too.
- Flour: Aside from all-purpose, you can also use cake flour. It will give you an airy and delicate cake that is also delicious.
- Nuts: You can add some chopped nuts to the batter to give the cake more texture. I think walnuts or pecans would be perfect.
- Raisins or dried berries: Add some fruity and chewy elements to the cake to bring it to the next level.
If you like to have more apple bites in your cake, use chopped apples instead of grated ones. You can also use a springform pan or a bundt pan to make this recipe
How To Make This Recipe (In Pictures)
- Cream butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Continue beating until well blended.
- Fold grated apples into the cake batter and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350º Fahrenheit and serve warm.
Dos and Don't
DO make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature before starting. This will make it easier and less messy to blend them together.
DON'T over mix your batter. Over mixing will result in a tough and unpleasantly chewy cake.
DO check for doneness by poking the center of the cake with a wooden toothpick. If it comes out, clean the cake is done.
DON'T worry if the batter will seem quite thick after you add the flour. The grated apples will add moisture back into the batter.
DO let the cake rest for a few minutes after baking before removing it from the baking pan.
How To Serve the Apple Cake
Aside from enjoying it as a dessert, this fresh apple cake is also a great breakfast or afternoon treat with your favorite cup of coffee or tea!
It is delicious as it is, but you can amp it up by drizzling it with warm caramel sauce or a simple sugar glaze.
Or you can simply dust it with powdered sugar too.
Try adding a dollop of cool whip or yogurt, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the warm cake. It is delightful!
How To Store and Keep This Recipe
Once the cake has cooled down completely, place the leftovers in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to 2 days in a cool, dry place or up to 5 days in the fridge.
This cake is also freezer-friendly so you can store them longer. Wrap it tightly with foil or a freezer bag and keep it frozen for 3 months at most.
Simply reheat using your oven when you want some
More Amazing Recipes
- Apricot Bars - Perfect if you're looking for an easy but delicious fall dessert
- Blueberry Coffee Cake - impressive looking desser that's easy to make
- Strawberry Crisp - thankfully strawberries are available all year long
- Streuselkuchen - classic German crumb cake
- Cherry Streusel - another popular German cake recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour baking pan.
- Using an electric mixer and beat sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat out of just blended.
- Stir in grated apples. Transfer batter to cake pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. Use a wooden toothpick to check for doneness. If it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Serve warm. Recommended: Drizzle with warm caramel sauce.