This Blueberry Coffee Cake includes all the best flavors of summer. It’s loaded with fresh blueberries and topped with an irresistible coconut crumb topping.
This is a perfect treat for special occasions like the 4th of July, Memorial Day, or any other summer outing. But you don't need to wait for a holiday to serve this treat.
Why This Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe Work
FLAVOR: Blueberry Coffee Cake has a delicious and balanced flavor that combines the sweetness of fresh blueberries with the buttery and slightly tangy flavor of the cake batter. The cinnamon and brown sugar topping adds an extra layer of flavor and texture to the cake.
TEXTURE: The texture of the blueberry coffee cake is moist and tender, with a slightly dense crumb that is still light and airy. The fresh blueberries provide a juicy burst of flavor and texture that complements the soft cake.
EASE: This dessert is easy to make and requires only simple ingredients and easy baking techniques, making it a great option for beginner bakers.
What Is A Coffee Cake Anyway?
Coffee Cake is traditionally a cake that is served with coffee. The cake itself typically isn't coffee flavored, but it goes over really with a hot cup of coffee.
In Germany, this kind of cake is a popular afternoon snack. This is when people get together to enjoy a 'coffee and cake' break. It's also known as 'Zeit für Kaffee und Kuchen' (time for coffee and cake).
In the United States, coffee cakes generally consist of a single-layer sweet cake and cinnamon-flavored crumbs. And instead of the afternoon, you will find coffee cakes as a special breakfast treat.
The good thing is that while there are rules in baking, there is no rule about when to serve this delicious sweet treat.
What's great about this recipe is that it takes very little time to make. And chances are that you have all of the ingredients already in your fridge and pantry.
All you need to do is make a simple butter, eggs, milk, sugar, and flour batter. Add blueberries and sprinkle them with a delicious crumb topping. Super simple!
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
BLUEBERRIES - Although you can find blueberries all year long in your supermarket, they are most delicious when they are in season. You'll find the juiciest, most flavorful berries between early July and late October.
DRY INGREDIENTS: all purpose flour, white and granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
WET INGREDIENTS: (unsalted) butter, eggs, and milk
FLAVORS: Cinnamon and coconut flakes
How To Make Blueberry Coffee Cake
- PREP - Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- CRUMB TOPPING - To make the crumb topping, mix flour, butter, coconut flakes, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- BATTER - Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with a hand mixer until fluffy, then add eggs and mix. Add milk, flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- TRANSFER - Pour the batter into the baking pan and sprinkle the crumb topping on top.
- BAKE - Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Leftovers and Storage
- PREPARE - Allow the cake to cool down completely to room temperature. Wrap the cake with plastic wrap or aluminum foil or place the leftover slices in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag.
- LEFTOVERS - You can store the coffee cake at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- FREEZER - To freeze, wrap the cake tightly as described above and place it in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Recipe Success Tips
- Baking times may vary depending on your location and your oven. Start checking the cake after 40 minutes.
- Make sure to use unsalted butter for this recipe. In fact, I highly recommend you only use unsalted butter for all your cooking and baking. It allows you to control the amount of salt you add to your recipes because different brands use varying amounts of salt in their salted butter.
- Take your time when you first beat the butter and granulated sugar. You are aerating the cake at this point. This is going to help make this Blueberry Coffee Cake taste light and tender.
- Make sure your butter, eggs, and milk are at room temperature when you start baking.
- Take the extra step of sifting the flour. It will break up any clumps that might have formed and be easier to mix.
Can I Use Frozen Blueberries Instead Of Fresh Blueberries To Make This Cake?
YES! You can definitely use frozen blueberries for this recipe. I have a preference for fresh, but frozen will definitely work.
Use the equivalent amount of blueberries. Add them to a colander and rinse them under cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel until dry. Now you can add them to the batter the same way you would add fresh ones.
More Simple Dessert Recipes You Might Like
5-MINUTE BLUEBERRY CRISP - another summer dessert that stars fresh blueberries!
STRAWBERRY CREAM PIE - the most refreshing and easiest no-bake pie.
SWEET BANANA CAKE - with a sweet and tangy sour cream frosting!
STRAWBERRY TORTE - Erdbeerkuchen. No summer shall pass without this German classic.
BEE STING CAKE - This cake looks like a million bucks and is super easy to make.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- ⅓ cups flour all-purpose
- ¼ cup butter unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sweetend coconut flakes
- ½ cup golden brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour all-purpose
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch springform (use the inside of the butter wrapper) and lightly flour the inside. Shake off any excess flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine ⅓ cup flour, coconut flakes, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add ¼ cup butter and mix until moist crumbles form. Set aside.
- Beat one stick of butter (½ cup) and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined. Slowly pour the milk into the batter and continue to beat until smooth.
- Sift flour into the batter. Add baking powder and salt. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Use a spatula to fold in the blueberries.
- Transfer batter to the prepared springform. Sprinkle crumb topping over the batter.
- Bake cake for 45 minutes at 375º Fahrenheit. Insert a wood toothpick into the center to check for doneness. Cool cake slightly and remove the springform. Serve and enjoy.
Hi There, I’m Maike!
A German girl turned American sharing hundreds of easy, homemade comfort food recipes perfect for everyday cooking.
The coconut flakes in the crumb topping are such a good idea. They make this coffee cake extra delicious!
Ohhh that coconut crumb topping! I want to put it on everything!
We made this coffee cake yesterday and it turned out perfectly! It was moist and had just the right about of sweetness. I had it with my morning coffee today and it was great!
This looks like the best cake ever! The fresh blueberries and cinnamon sound amazing together.
Love the burst of blueberry in each bite! Turned out great!
What about the milk? Does it go in after eggs? Or is it not supposed to be added?
Hi Rae. There was indeed an error in the recipe card. I fixed it and also rewrote the recipe instructions to be more precise. Thank you so much for pointing this out. 🙂
Moist and delicious!