Strawberry Crisp is the perfect summer dessert, especially when it's made with freshly picked, in-season strawberries.
Like our Blueberry Crisp and Apple Crisp, this recipe is easy to make. You'll need seven simple everyday ingredients you'll most likely already have in your fridge and pantry. But this recipe also has a little twist that makes it special.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
The secret is in cooking half of the strawberries before baking. This little trick ensures that your crisp will hold well after baking.
It's a recipe that'll definitely make you go back for seconds!
This dessert fills your house with the warm smell of baked strawberries. And you will pull out your tub of vanilla ice cream from the freezer before you even realize it.
A generous scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of this dessert is a must. Because if there's one thing fruit crisp goes well with, it's ice cream!
Since this is such an easy recipe, you can make it in the afternoon before starting dinner.
It's a breeze to throw the ingredients together, and because it bakes for 45 minutes and needs time to cool, this is the perfect time to make it.
If you have a bottle of whipped cream or heavy whipping cream in the fridge, make sure to add a dollop when you're ready to eat your dessert.
And if strawberries aren't in season or you want to change this up a bit, try this recipe with blackberries!
Strawberries: Use fresh strawberries for the best flavor. You can also use frozen strawberries, but it's best with fresh fruit.
Sugar: Use granulated sugar for this recipe. I used a low-process granulated sugar in this recipe, which has the same taste and texture as 'regular granulated sugar. The only difference with white sugar is that it's less processed and has a yellowish color.
Flour: This is the base of the crisp topping. Regular all-purpose flour works great.
Brown sugar: Packed brown sugar is best for this topping since it has a slightly deeper flavor.
Butter: Butter adds richness and combines the dry ingredients in the topping. Make sure to use unsalted butter for all your baking (cooking). The salt content in salted butter varies from brand to brand. And you want to be the one in charge of the amount of salt you're adding to any recipe.
Sliced almonds: These add a crunchy texture to the dish. You could also use crushed walnuts. But almonds and strawberries are a delicious flavor combination.
Variations and Additions
Oats. If you'd like to avoid using flour, you can use old-fashioned rolled oats instead to make this crisp gluten-free.
Cinnamon. Sugar, salt, and cinnamon are a classic combination of many crisps and crumbles. But for this recipe, it's really not necessary. But it also can't hurt, so if you like, add a teaspoon of cinnamon.
Vanilla Extract. What goes with adding cinnamon also goes for adding vanilla extract. It won't hurt this recipe. In fact, it'll add a nice little bit of extra flavor, but it's not necessary.
And this recipe is all about being an easy, uncomplicated dessert.
How To Make Strawberry Crisp
More detailed, printable step-by-step instructions in the recipe card.
Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries. Add half of the strawberries with sugar into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until the strawberries become syrupy. Combine cooked strawberries with the uncooked in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Melt butter in a small saucepan. In a large bowl, combine melted butter with dry ingredients until moist crumbles form.
Strawberry Crisp Recipe
Top the strawberries with the crumble. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350º Fahrenheit. Serve warm.
Recipe Success Tips
Add a little lemon juice to give this easy strawberry crisp a tangy, acidic balance to the sweetness of the fruit.
Store and Keep
Cover the dish with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can eat it cold or heat a slice up in the microwave for about 15 seconds or until heated all the way through. It will heat up fast, so add time in increments if needed.
You could also make the crisp in an aluminum foil pan and then freeze it for up to 3 months. To serve it, thaw in the fridge and then eat it cold or heat it up in the microwave.
More Recipes Like
- Blueberry Dump Cake - A dessert classic with just 3 ingredients!
- Strawberry Cream Pie - The easiest cream filled Strawberry Pie. Made with just 5 ingredients.
- Classic Key Lime Pie - I love ending a hot summer day with a slice of this classic dessert.
- Blueberry Coffee Cake - me with a delicious coconut crumb topping.
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake - an easy and refreshing summer dessert
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 3 cups of diced strawberries to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Combine remaining 3 cups of strawberries, ¾ cup sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture becomes syrupy. About 8 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Transfer the cooked strawberry mixture into the baking dish. Combine with the uncooked strawberries.
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar.
- Gradually add in melted butter. Mix until small moist clumps form. Add in sliced almonds. Sprinkle crumbles over the strawberries.
- Bake strawberry crisp until the topping is golden, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.