Did you know that Ranch is America’s favorite salad dressing? And while there are great store-bought options, NOTHING beats creamy, fresh Ranch dressing. Be sure to pin THIS recipe.
Did you know that store-bought Ranch dressing is the bestselling recipe in the United States? While I am not above picking up a store-bought bottle of Ranch (this one is our favorite), I think this recipe is better.
It’s fresh, creamy, and has that subtle tang we love so much on salads or for dipping our favorite veggies.
Thankfully making homemade buttermilk Ranch dressing is incredibly easy to make. With just a few, fresh ingredients, you can make this rich and creamy dressing. And chances are you already have most if not all of the ingredients in your fridge and pantry.
This buttermilk Ranch recipe is just perfect for salads. But it’s also my one of my secret ingredients (hint: the other one is our homemade Alfredo Sauce) for one of my family’s favorite comfort foods – Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta.
Fresh dill, parsley, and garlic really bring this Ranch dressing to life. Adding fresh garlic takes it over the top.
- Buttermilk Or use a buttermilk substitute. (see below)
- Sour Cream. Use plain whole milk yogurt if you’re in a pinch.
- Lemon Juice, fresh squeezed
- Garlic, fresh
- Dill, fresh
- Parsley, fresh
- Sugar. You can use substitute sweeteners like Stevia or Coconut Sugar.
How to Make Ranch Dressing
- Chop the parsley and dill. Peel and mince the fresh garlic cloves.
- Use a medium bowl to combine sour cream, buttermilk, mayonnaise, and lemon juice, and sugar.
- Add the fresh garlic, parsley, and dill, and red onion. Whisk until well combined. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper
Love this recipe? Pin it to your Salad Board!
Follow CREATIVE & PRACTICAL on Pinterest
Simple Salads You’ll Love
- Buffalo Chicken Salad. Simple Crockpot Salad. Perfect for Game Day.
- Classic Pea Salad. Revival of a classic salad.
- Greek Salad. A creamy, refreshing salad.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad. Perfect salad for a potluck.
- Blueberry Goat Cheese Salad. My go-to summer salad.
- Kale and Quinoa Salad Bowl. It”s a perfect lunch option
Notes and Substitutions
Creamy buttermilk Ranch dressing is perfect for salads, dipping your favorite veggies, chips, pretzels, fries and even comfort foods like pizza or sliders.
Simple Buttermilk subsitutions
- If you don’t have fresh buttermilk on hand, you can substitute buttermilk powder.
- Combine one tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of milk. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. This is my favorite method because I pretty much always have milk and fresh lemons in the house.
- Add 3 tablespoons of milk to one cup of plain yogurt or sour cream.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon parsley (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons dill (fresh)
- Chop the fresh parsley and fresh dill. Peel and use a garlic rocker to mince the garlic cloves.
- Combine the buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise in a medium mixing bowl. Add fresh lemon juice and sugar.
- Add chopped parsley, dill, and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper