This Kale Quinoa Salad is a protein powerhouse! Crunchy kale, cooked quinoa, a hard-boiled egg, and cucumber are topped with a simple turmeric-tahini dressing.
This combination makes the Kale Quinoa Salad bowl a killer lunch option!
There’s a reason salad and macro bowls have become insanely popular over the last few years. They tend to be full of flavor and typically packed with nutrients.
And if you’re interested to start to eat healthier, this is a great dish to try!
The kale and quinoa salad bowl is no exception. And if you meal prep, putting this kale and quinoa salad together is going to take you less than five minutes!
And with about 24g of protein, you are going be happy and satiated for hours.
Optional. This healthy kale salad is very not just easy, but also quite filling. But you can jazz it up by adding some roasted salmon.
Ingredients for the Kale Quinoa Salad
This is a great salad recipe to prep ahead of time.
- 2 cups fresh KALE
- ½ tablespoon EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- ½ cup QUINOA – cooked
- 1 cup CUCUMBER – diced
- 1 EGG – hard-boiled
How to Make a Kale Quinoa Salad
Since we’ve gotten more into meal planning, we typically have some cooked quinoa in the fridge. It’s just such a versatile grain to have (technically quinoa is a ‘pseudo-cereal grain’ similar to buckwheat).
I’ve started to use it more and more often instead of rice. We like quinoa because it’s a great source of protein and fiber.
- Before I cook the quinoa I give it a good rinse. Cooking quinoa is very similar to cooking rice. 1 cup of quinoa will require two cups of water.
- In a medium saucepan bring water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water. Add a dash of sea salt (optional).
- In a separate small saucepan bring some water to a boil. Add a fresh egg and boil for 6-7 minutes. Once boiled, remove the egg from the water and set aside to cool.
- Chop some fresh kale leaves. Add kale to a salad bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a dash of salt. Massage the kale with your hands. This helps tenderize the kale and give it a softer texture and taste.
- Dice cucumber into bite-sized pieces and slice the red onion. Set aside.
- This is such a simple yet flavorful dressing. Simply whisk together tahini, turmeric, and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the chopped kale, cooked quinoa, and egg in a salad bowl. Add the diced cucumber and cubed cucumbers. Finally, drizzle some of the tahini dressing. Enjoy.
More Delicious Kale Recipes
Kale’s reputation as a nutritional superstar is well deserved. If you want more ideas on how to incorporate kale into your diet, check out these simple recipes.
High Protein Kale Buddha Bowl
Turmeric Tahini Dressing
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons water
Preparing the Kale Quinoa Salad Bowl
- Cook quinoa according to the instruction. At the same time cook a boiled egg.
- Wash and dry the kale. Remove the stem and chop the kale into bite-sized pieces. Massage the kale with olive oil and salt. Set aside. Dice the cucumber.
- Combine tahini, turmeric, and water. Whisk until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
Putting it all together
- Add the kale, quinoa, and cucumbers into a shallow salad bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top. Enjoy!