If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to serve tuna, you’ll want to try these savory Tuna Croquettes. Each croquette is crispy on the outside and bursting with flavor on the inside and perfect with a side of German Cucumber Salad or German Potato Salad.
Make your patties by combining chunky tuna, eggs, bread crumbs, veggies, eggs, and spices. Pan-fried until golden-brown, these patties take no time at all and give you a creative way to use up canned tuna from your pantry.
What Are Croquettes?
Tuna croquettes are patties or rolls of white flaked tuna that is combined with eggs, bread crumbs, vegetables, herbs, and spices. You can serve the croquettes either pan-fried or baked.
TUNA – Solid White Albacore tuna in water works great for this recipe.
VEGETABLES – Finely chopped bell pepper and celery.
HERBS & SPICES – Use a combination of fresh parsley (chives or dill works well), lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
BINDERS – Two large eggs and bread crumbs. I use traditional bread crumbs but you can use panko bread crumbs instead.
📌 Save This Tuna Croquette Recipe!
How To Make Tuna Croquettes
- Open and drain two cans of chunky tuna. Use a paper towel to drain any excess moisture. Set aside
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add in mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and combine well.
- Add the drained tuna, the bread crumbs, celery, and bell pepper to the egg mixture. Combine all the ingredients.
- Now you’re ready to form the croquettes. Take a small amount of the tuna mixture into your hand, shape it into a ball. Then flatten the balls into patties or elongate into a roll if that’s your choice.
- You’re ready to cook your croquettes. Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil or olive oil to your frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add the tuna croquettes.
- Cook the patties over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
How To Serve Tuna Croquettes
One of our favorite ways to enjoy this dish is to serve it over a bed of lettuce with a side of Chipotle Mayo.
You can also make larger shaped patties and serve them sandwich-style on a kaiser roll.
Cooking Tips and Tricks
Can I Freeze Tuna Croquettes?
Yes. Seal the croquettes inside a freezer bag or air-tight container.
When you’re ready to enjoy your croquettes, it’s best to let them reach room temperature at their own pace. Reheat the tuna croquettes with a little bit of oil in a frying pan.
TIP: If they are defrosted in the microwave they may not hold their shape as well as you would like.
Craving More Simple Lunch Recipes?
Eggs, Herbs & Spices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Drain the tuna remove any excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Finely Chop bell peppers, celery, and parsley.
Making The Egg Mixture
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Add the tuna, bell peppers, celery, parsley, and bread crumbs to the egg mixture and combine well. Use your hands to first shape the tuna mixture into patties (or rolls).
Cooking The Croquettes
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in your frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the patties when the oil is hot. Cook the patties for 5-8 minutes until you see a golden-brown crust.