Dig into a bowl of Lasagna Soup for a cozy, comforting meal that brings all classic lasagna flavors.
This hearty soup features Italian sausage, pasta, and a blend of cheeses—ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan.
Why This Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe Works
EASY - All the lasagna goodness without the layering and long bake time.
ONE-POT WONDER - Everything cooks in a single pot, making cleanup a breeze.
FLAVOR- The Italian sausage and seasonings make this soup irresistibly savory.
VERSATILE - It's a flexible recipe; you can tweak ingredients according to your preferences.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE - The meaty backbone of the soup. If you prefer, you can also use ground beef or ground turkey.
YELLOW ONION - Adds depth and sweetness.
OLIVE OIL - For sautéing and flavor.
GARLIC - Use fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic from a jar.
TOMATO PASTE & CRUSHED TOMATOES - For a rich, tomatoey broth.
BALSAMIC VINEGAR & SUGAR - Add a touch of tanginess and sweetness.
RED PEPPER FLAKES & ITALIAN HERBS - Flavor enhancers.
CHICKEN BROTH - The liquid foundation of your soup.
LASAGNA NOODLES - Use regular lasagna noodles, not the no-boil version.
CHEESE - The Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese trio makes the soup rich and creamy.
FRESH HERBS - For garnish and a pop of color.
How To Make Lasagna Soup
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Saute Italian sausage and onions in olive oil until browned in a large pot or Dutch oven. Drain excess grease.
- Stir in garlic, tomato paste, and seasonings.
- Add tomatoes, marinara, chicken broth, and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Add broken lasagna noodles; cook until al dente. Simmer and stir in the cheese mixture before serving. Season to taste with salt and garnish with fresh basil.
Recipe Success Tips
DRAIN THE FAT - Removing excess grease keeps the soup light yet flavorful.
PLANNING/MEAL PREP - If you need to make this ahead of time, cook your soup up until you need to add the noodles. When you are ready, bring your soup back to a boil, add your noodles, and continue with the directions remaining.
CHEESE - Freshly shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan make a difference. I used fresh Mozzarella and a block of Parmesan and hand-shredded it. It comes out so creamy, but you can use bagged Mozzarella or an Italian blend if you are in a pinch.
STIR FREQUENTLY - Ensures even cooking and prevents sticking.
TASTE AS YOU GO - Adjust seasonings according to your preference.
GARLIC BREAD - A classic side that never fails.
CAESAR SALAD - For a lighter accompaniment.
ROASTED VEGETABLES - Adds extra nutrients.
CORN ON THE COB - For a summer spin.
FRENCH BREAD - Another carb option, because why not?
STORE - When you want to store lasagna soup, transfer the leftovers into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
FREEZE - If you want to freeze it, you can cook it and add the noodles when you are ready to eat or add the noodles but not the cheese yet. You can freeze the lasagna soup for up to 3 months.
REHEAT - When ready, thaw it overnight and warm on the stovetop over low heat, adding a splash of chicken broth if needed.
More Easy And Delicious Soup Recipes
CRACK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP - A creamy, addictive twist on classic chicken noodle
HAMBURGER SOUP - Beef and veggies unite for a hearty, comforting meal.
CHICKEN CHILI - The perfect blend of chicken, spices, and warm chili goodness.
CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP - Creamy soup that's all about cauliflower.
AMERICAN GOULASH - A nostalgic blend of macaroni, beef, and tomato sauce.
Please take a moment to rate our Lasagna Soup recipe below!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar granulated
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar (24-ounce) marinara sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 10 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese fresh, shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan grated
- Sauté Italian sausage and onions in olive oil in a large pot. Once the onions are translucent and the sausage is browned drain any excess grease.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
- Add crushed tomatoes, marinara sauce, and chicken broth with the bay leaf. Bring it to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Break the lasagna noodles into pieces and add to the soup. Cook until the noodles are al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, fresh mozzarella, and parmesan in a small bowl.
- Serve your soup in bowls, and add a dollop of the cheese mixture to each bowl. Garnish with parsley or basil, and enjoy.