This Breakfast Lasagna, with its hearty layers and savory breakfast flavors, is a comforting and satisfying dish that's sure to become a favorite in your home.
Loaded with delicious breakfast sausage, fresh bell peppers, and melted cheese layered between lasagna noodles, it's a deliciously satisfying way to start the day.
Why This Breakfast Lasagna Recipe Works
MAKE-AHEAD FRIENDLY - You can assemble this lasagna the night before and bake it in the morning, making it a perfect choice for busy mornings or when hosting guests.
CROWD-PLEASER - Its hearty flavors and satisfying layers are loved by both adults and kids, making it a dish that the whole family can enjoy.
VERSATILE INGREDIENTS - The recipe works well with various types of sausage, cheese, or vegetables, allowing you to customize it based on what's in your fridge. For instance, you can try adding a layer of fresh or frozen chopped spinach.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
LASAGNA NOODLES (NO-BOIL) - These oven-ready lasagna noodles form the structure of the lasagna and save cooking time because they soften as they bake.
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE - Adds a hearty and savory flavor that is typical in breakfast dishes.
ONION - It enhances the overall flavor by adding a sweet and aromatic element.
RED BELL PEPPER - Brings a sweet crunch and vibrant color to the dish.
HASH BROWNS - They provide an extra layer of texture and a classic breakfast taste.
EGGS - They bind the ingredients together and give the dish a traditional breakfast feel.
MILK - It makes the egg mixture creamier, enriching the taste and texture of the lasagna.
CHEESE - We're using a combination of Cheddar Cheese for its sharp, rich flavor that balances the other ingredients and adds a melty texture and Mozzarella Cheese. The latter melts beautifully, adding a stretchy, gooey element to the lasagna.
You can also experiment with other types of cheese and, for instance, add a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese on the final layer.
How To Make a Breakfast Lasagna
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Cook and break up sausage in a large skillet.
- Once cooked, remove the sausage with a slotted spoon. Sauté vegetables using the sausage drippings in the same skillet.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Layer lasagna with noodles, sausage-veggie mix, egg mix, and cheese.
- Repeat layering; top with noodles, remaining egg mix, and butter.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 15-20 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, then serve.
Recipe Success Tips
BAKING - Covering the lasagna with foil for the first part of baking helps it cook evenly without the top browning too quickly.
Give the inside of the aluminum foil a quick spritz with baking spray. This will prevent the foil from sticking to the top of the lasagna.
REST TIME - Letting the lasagna rest before slicing helps it hold its shape and enhances the flavor.
NOODLE OPTIONS - Using no-boil lasagna noodles saves time, but you can also use regular lasagna noodles if that's what you have. Just remember to cook them first.
Our Breakfast Lasagna is well-rounded, and you can serve it as is, but here are some additional serving ideas you might enjoy.
FRUIT SALAD - Complement the savory lasagna with a refreshing side of mixed fruit salad.
SLICE OF AVOCADO - Add a slice of avocado on the side for a creamy, nutritious element that complements the lasagna well.
FRESHLY SQUEEZED JUICE - A glass of freshly squeezed orange juice or your favorite fruit juice can provide a sweet, tangy balance to the meal.
GREEN SALAD - A simple side salad such as a German Cucumber Salad with a light dressing can offer a crisp, fresh contrast to the rich flavors of the lasagna. This works well if you are having Breakfast Lasagna as a dinner option.
STORE - Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
FREEZE - To freeze, let the lasagna cool completely, then cut it into individual servings and place it in freezer-safe containers or wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
REHEAT - Reheat in a preheated oven at 350° Fahrenheit until warmed through, about 15-20 minutes if refrigerated or 30-40 minutes if frozen. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave, though the texture may be less crispy.
EGG MIXTURE - I like to pour the egg mixture into a large measuring cup (you'll need one that holds about 4 cups). Because I find it's easier to pour than to ladle the egg mixture.
More Easy and Delicious Breakfast Recipes
SWEET POTATO HASH - Enjoy a vibrant, nutritious, and hearty breakfast filled with sweet potatoes and spices!
CORNMEAL WAFFLES - Add a twist to your morning with these crispy, golden waffles that have a delightful cornbread flavor!
DUTCH BABY - Enjoy this fluffy, oven-baked pancake that's perfect for a weekend brunch!
SAUSAGE AND HASH BROWN CASSEROLE - Start your day with this comforting, warm dish that's filled with your breakfast favorites in every bite! This is also a great 'Breakfast for Dinner' recipe.
GERMAN APPLE PANCAKES - Savor a special breakfast with these fluffy pancakes featuring thinly sliced apples and a dusting of cinnamon sugar!
Please take a moment to rate our Breakfast Lasagna recipe below!
- 9-12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 24 ounces breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 cups hash browns (frozen) diced or shredded works, not patties - thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese grated
- Preheat your oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLE MIXTURE
- In a pan over medium heat, brown the breakfast sausage. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, leaving the juices in the pan.
- Using the same pan, sauté the onions and bell peppers until soft, then add thawed hash browns and cook until lightly browned. Add the sausage back into the skillet and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until well combined.
ASSEMBLE - Layering the Lasagna
- Spread a small amount of the egg mixture into the casserole dish. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, sprinkle with the sausage mix, a third of each cheese, and fill with a third of the egg mix. Repeat and make three layers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the lasagna is golden and set.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.