Juicy ground beef and a medley of fresh veggies are perfectly seasoned and simmer in a flavorful tomato beef broth and then combined with pasta shells.
Juicy ground beef and a medley of fresh veggies are perfectly seasoned and simmer in a flavorful tomato beef broth, and are combined with pasta shells.
Why You'll Love Our Easy Hamburger Vegetable Soup Recipe
COMFORT FOOD - This soup is hearty, warming, and satisfying. It's the perfect dish for a cool day or when you're in need of a dish that feels like a hug in a bowl.
BALANCED FLAVORS - The combination of savory ground beef, sweet vegetables like corn and carrots, and the unique blend of seasonings results in a perfectly balanced taste that's not too spicy or sweet.
MEAL PREP FRIENDLY - This soup can be made in a large batch and stores well in the fridge or freezer, making it a great option for meal prep or leftovers.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
GROUND BEEF - It provides the rich, meaty flavor and hearty texture that makes this soup filling. Look for lean ground beef 85/15, or leaner works well. And if you are looking for an extra healthy version of this soup, you can substitute the lean ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken.
GARLIC and ONION - They add to the depth of flavor and enhance the overall taste and aroma of the soup. As a variation, you could add celery for extra crunch.
CARROTS and BELL PEPPER - They bring a touch of sweetness and crunch, enhancing the soup's overall flavor and hearty texture.
JALAPEÑO PEPPER - If you choose to use it, this gives the soup a hint of heat, making it exciting and spicy. I removed the seeds and thus made them less spicy; if you like more spice, you can leave some or all of the seeds.
ROASTED CORN - This adds a slightly smoky flavor and sweetness, balancing the heat and providing a contrasting texture. If you don't have roasted corn, you can also use sweet corn.
SEASONINGS - Our spice mix works together and creates a sweet, mildly spicy, and incredibly flavorful soup. It perfectly balances heat, smokiness, richness, and a touch of sweetness.
CANNED TOMATOES - They add to the broth's body while adding natural sweetness and tanginess. Make sure to use also add the juice.
BROTH - This forms the base of the soup, providing a robust, savory flavor.
SHELL PASTA - It gives the soup substance and makes it more filling and satisfying. You could use other short pasta, such as macaroni, but I love how the shells fill up with the soup, making each bite extra tasty.
How To Make A Sweet and Spicy Hamburger Soup Recipe
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- BEEF & VEGGIES - Brown beef in a large pot or Dutch oven, remove, then sauté onion, garlic, carrots, jalapeno, and bell pepper in the leftover grease.
- SEASONING & BROTH - Stir in seasonings, tomatoes, and corn, then pour in broth and add cooked beef.
- SIMMER - Let it bubble, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- PASTA - Add pasta, cook until soft, then adjust seasonings if needed.
Recipe Success Tips
BROWNING THE MEAT - Make sure to brown the ground beef well; it enhances the flavor of the meat and adds depth to the soup.
SEASONING - Adjust the seasonings according to your taste; start with the suggested amounts and add more if needed. I'm not using salt for seasoning in this recipe, but that's a personal preference. There's already enough salt from the broth, but you might want to add a little.
TIP: If you like it extra spicy, add a bit of cayenne or black pepper. Just remember, a little goes a long way.
SIMMERING - Let the soup simmer gently and avoid boiling it vigorously; this helps the flavors meld together and keeps the vegetables from getting too soft.
Hamburger Soup is a delicious and satisfying one-pot dinner recipe that you can serve as is. But here are some suggestions to turn it into a well-rounded meal.
BREAD ON THE SIDE - Serve this soup with a slice of crusty bread to soak up all the delicious flavors.
SIDE SALAD - A simple green salad such as our Creamy German Cucumber Salad pairs perfectly with this hearty soup, making your meal more balanced and filling.
SANDWICH PAIRING - Make a simple sandwich to go with this soup for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
SOUP AND CRACKERS - Have some saltine crackers or oyster crackers on hand; they add a nice crunch when sprinkled over the soup.
GRILLED CHEESE - For a real treat, serve this soup with a warm, melty grilled cheese sandwich.
STORE - Place any leftover Hamburger Soup in airtight containers and refrigerate. It will stay fresh for about 3 to 4 days.
FREEZE - For longer storage, freeze the soup in freezer-safe containers or heavy-duty freezer bags; it can be frozen for up to 3 months.
REHEAT - Thaw overnight in the refrigerator (if frozen), then reheat on the stove over medium heat, stirring occasionally, or in the microwave until hot.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
SWEET POTATO SOUP - A creamy delight with sweet potatoes and bacon.
HUNGARIAN GOULASH - Hearty beef, vegetables, and warm spices in a comforting stew.
BEEF STEW - Tender beef simmered to perfection in a red wine beef broth.
PUMPKIN SOUP - This soup recipe is creamy, rich, and spiced perfectly for a sweet fall treat.
CRACK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP - Creamy and delicious soup packed with chicken, bacon, Ranch, and cheese
FRENCH ONION SOUP - Caramelized onions, melted cheese, and toasty bread in one bowl.
Please take a moment to rate the recipe below!
- 2 pounds ground beef lean
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeds removed and diced (for a bit of heat, optional)
- 1 cup roasted corn frozen - regular sweet corn also works
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces shell pasta
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Break it into small crumbles as it cooks. Once fully cooked, remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- Remove all but a couple of tablespoons of the rendered grease. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, jalapeno, and bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in tomato paste, brown sugar, chili powder, and smoked paprika and simmer for about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes (with juice) and frozen roasted corn. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot and add the ground beef back to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the shell pasta to the soup. Cover the pot again, turn the heat to medium, and allow the pasta to cook for about 10 more minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve and enjoy.