Cherry Dump Cake is one of the easiest dessert recipes.
This amazing dessert has sweet cherries, soft cake, and a crunchy buttery topping, and it is perfect for making everyone happy and becoming your favorite treat.
Why This Cherry Dump Cake Recipe Works
EASY TO MAKE: With just a few ingredients and minimal preparation, even a novice baker can create a delicious dessert effortlessly.
TIME-SAVING: The recipe requires very little hands-on time, making it perfect for busy individuals or those who want a quick dessert without spending hours in the kitchen.
CROWD-PLEASER: Cherry Dump Cake is a great dessert suitable for laid-back get-togethers, potlucks, or special celebrations, making it a terrific choice for many occasions.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
CHERRIES - While there are plenty of dump cakes that I love to make with fresh fruit, Cherry Dump Cake with cans of cherry pie filling is a family favorite. The consistency is just perfect.
CAKE MIX - You might be familiar with a yellow cake mix or a classic white cake mix. Both are good choices for this dump cake. But I have two cake mixes that I prefer for this cake:
Lemon cake mix and vanilla cake mix. Why? Because both lemon and cherry and vanilla and cherry are divine flavor combinations. Another delicious flavor combination you might enjoy is using a chocolate cake mix.
TIP - A la mode: Serve a warm slice of Cherry Dump Cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, letting the ice cream melt into the cake for a delightful combination of flavors and textures.
BUTTER - I unsalted butter.
ALMONDS - Almonds add a pleasant crunch that contrasts nicely with the tender cake and the soft cherry filling. If you want to boost the almond flavor, you can also add a teaspoon of almond extract to the dough.
If almonds aren't your favorite, substitute them with other nuts, like crushed walnuts, for a delicious alternative.
How To Make A Cherry Dump Cake
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- DUMP - Pour the cherry pie filling into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- MIX - In a small bowl, stir the cake mix and melted butter until they form crumbs. Sprinkle the cake mix crumbs over the cherry pie filling. Add the sliced almonds on top of the cake mix crumbs.
- BAKE - the cake for 40-45º minutes at 350º Fahrenheit.
ICE CREAM - A scoop of vanilla ice cream melts beautifully over the warm cake, creating a delightful blend of cold and warm sensations.
FROZEN YOGURT: Similar to ice cream, frozen yogurt can provide a cool and creamy contrast to the warm cake, with the added benefit of being a slightly healthier option.
WHIPPED TOPPING - A spoonful or two provides a cool but non-too-sweet balance.
WHIPPED CREAM - A dollop of whipped cream adds a light, creamy contrast to the rich flavors of the Cherry Dump Cake.
CARAMEL DRIZZLE: Add a decadent touch by drizzling caramel sauce over the top of the Cherry Dump Cake before serving.
CHOCOLATE SHAVINGS: Sprinkle a few chocolate shavings or chips over the top of the cake to add a hint of chocolatey goodness that pairs well with the cherries.
- Allow the Cherry Dump Cake to cool completely. Cover the cake tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, slice it into individual portions for easier thawing and serving. Wrap each portion tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. For extra protection, you can also use a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped portions in a resealable freezer-safe bag or an airtight container, removing as much air as possible before sealing.
- Label the bag or container with the date and contents. Freeze the Cherry Dump Cake for up to 3 months.
More Recipes You Should Try
If you like easy dessert recipes, try any of these dump cake recipes.
BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE - Made with fresh blueberries.
STRAWBERRY DUMP CAKE - Fresh strawberries that are baked to perfection.
PUMPKIN DUMP CAKE - One of the easiest and most delicious fall desserts.
PINEAPPLE DUMP CAKE - Sweet and tangy pineapples with a rich buttery crust.
LEMON DUMP CAKE - We make ours with lemon curd.
Did you try our recipe?
Please take a moment to rate the recipe below!
Cherry Dump Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°Fahrenheit and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Spread cherry pie filling evenly in the dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir melted butter and cake mix until the mixture becomes crumbly. Sprinkle the crumble over the filling. Top with chopped almonds.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.