Cast Iron Chicken Thighs is a rich, creamy, flavorful dish that's simple to prepare, making it a perfect choice for busy weeknights.
Perfectly baked chicken thighs are served with a rich and creamy garlic and lemon sauce.
Why This Cast Iron Chicken Thighs Recipe Works
EASY TO PREPARE - With a straightforward seasoning and cooking process, this recipe is ideal for those busy evenings.
RICH FLAVORS - The mix of garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika provides a depth of flavor that elevates the humble chicken thigh.
FLAVORFUL & JUICY - The combination of seasoning and cooking techniques ensures each thigh is delicious.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
CHICKEN THIGHS - We use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. The bone-in thighs hold more flavor and remain juicier during cooking.
OLIVE OIL - Used to coat the chicken, ensuring even cooking and adding a subtle flavor. Olive oil also helps in crisping up the skin. It also has a high smoke point, so it's perfect for baking chicken in the oven. Alternatively, you can also use avocado oil.
CHICKEN SEASONING (GARLIC POWDER, ONION POWDER, SMOKED PAPRIKA) - We use a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. And, of course, salt and pepper.
HEAVY CREAM & CHICKEN BROTH - Combine to create a rich and creamy sauce that complements the chicken. The broth adds depth, while the cream brings a rich texture.
BUTTER - Adds richness and helps in cooking the garlic to perfection. Using unsalted butter allows you to control the salt content in your dish.
CORNSTARCH - Used to thicken the sauce, giving it the perfect consistency.
How To Make Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Thighs
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- SEASON & PREP - Mix spices and coat the chicken, then place seasoned chicken thighs skin side down in a cast iron skillet and sear until browned.
- BAKE - Flip and bake the chicken to ensure it's cooked through and the skin stays crisp.
- SAUCE - Combine garlic, butter, broth, cream, and remaining drippings in the same skillet.
- FINISH & SERVE - Thicken with cornstarch and add lemon juice. Return the chicken to the skillet and serve.
Recipe Success Tips
TEMPERATURE CHECK - Use a meat thermometer to check the chicken's internal temperature. You're aiming for 165º Fahrenheit to ensure it's perfectly cooked and safe to eat.
REST BEFORE SERVING - Allowing the chicken to rest for a few minutes after removing it from the oven is key. It lets the juices redistribute, ensuring each bite is moist and flavorful.
TASTE AND ADJUST - Don't hesitate to taste your sauce as you cook and adjust the seasoning as needed. A little extra pinch of salt or a squeeze of lemon juice can make a world of difference.
VEGETABLES - Add a side dish of roasted vegetables, such as our candied carrots as our Crack Green Beans, to serve a simple but delicious balanced meal.
BREAD FOR DIPPING - Grab some crusty homemade bread to enjoy the creamy sauce.
LEMON FOR ZEST - Lemon wedges can add a fresh, zesty note.
STORE - Keep any leftover chicken in the fridge in an airtight container. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
REHEAT - Warm in a skillet or the microwave, adding a bit of broth if needed.
More Easy And Delicious Chicken Recipes
CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE - A comforting one-dish meal combining tender chicken and creamy rice.
EASY CHICKEN STROGANOFF - A quick twist on the classic stroganoff featuring chicken in a creamy sauce.
CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE - A homestyle favorite filled with chicken and vegetables in a rich gravy.
CRACK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP - An addictive blend of chicken, noodles, and savory flavors in a warming soup.
CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA - Spicy and creamy, this pasta dish is a lively spin on traditional chicken meals.
Please take a moment to rate our Creamy Chicken Thighs recipe below!
- 2 pounds (5 pieces) chicken thighs bone-in
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup butter unsalted
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika in a small bowl.
- Pat dry the chicken thighs, place in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with the seasoning. Toss until all chicken thighs are well coated.
- Cook the chicken thighs skin side down in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Allow the chicken thighs to cook for about 5 minutes or until the skin is golden brown.
- Flip the chicken thighs and place the skillet in the preheated oven. Allow the chicken thighs to cook for 20 minutes. Check the internal temperature (165º Fahrenheit).
- Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a plate to rest and cover with foil.
- Add garlic and butter to the cast iron skillet. Saute the garlic in the remaining chicken drippings and melted butter over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, heavy cream, and red pepper flakes. Stir and allow the mixture to simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Pour the slurry into the skillet, reduce the heat, and stir to combine; once thickened, stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.