This easy Chicken Stroganoff recipe has all the classic Stroganoff flavors you love but is lighter and easier to make.
Perfectly seared chicken chunks and mushroom slices are smothered in a flavorful and creamy stroganoff sauce.
What is Stroganoff?
Stroganoff is a Russian dish of beef chunks cooked in a sour cream-based sauce.
With its worldwide popularity, there are different variations of the dish nowadays. They mostly differ regarding the meats and additional vegetables used, sauce seasoning, and the cooking method.
Homemade Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
This homestyle, easy chicken recipe has all the deliciousness of the classic stroganoff recipe but uses chicken thighs instead of beef.
A lighter version of the Russian classic comfort food made healthier with tomatoes added to the sauce.
I also kept the spices at a minimum. This allows the tanginess of the sour cream, the butter's richness, and the Dijon mustard's sharpness to shine through.
This recipe is made with plenty of sauce to make anything you serve it with flavor-packed!
EASE. An easy weeknight dinner recipe cooked using one pot only and is ready in less than 30 minutes.
Why This Chicken Stroganoff Recipe Works
COMFORT FOOD - It is made with juicy chicken slices in a deliciously spiced creamy sauce that is both filling and comforting!
CUSTOMIZABLE - There are several ways to make this dish your own! Add your preferred spices and seasonings to make it your own! For ideas, browse through the Variations and Additions section.
HEALTHY - It is a great option for those who love Strogannof but are cutting down on their red meat consumption.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
BUTTER - Use unsalted butter. Butter adds a level of richness and makes for a silkier sauce.
ONION - Sauteed onions make the perfect base for this recipe.
MUSHROOMS - These meaty vegetables are great at absorbing flavors too. I used cremini mushrooms, but you can also use brown mushrooms.
CHICKEN THIGHS - Buy skinless and boneless chicken thighs for less preparation time.
CHICKEN STOCK - is used for deglazing the skillet to dislodge those yummy brown bits! This adds tons of delicious flavor to the dish.
MUSTARD - Dijon mustard will add a depth of flavor to the sauce, making it all the more irresistible.
DILL - Mustard and dill are a powerful flavor combination. Use fresh dill if you can.
SOUR CREAM - you cannot make a Stroganoff sauce without one! This rich and tangy cream makes the perfect sauce-based for this creamy Chicken Stroganoff!
CORN STARCH - Add if you prefer a thicker sauce. This is an optional ingredient.
Variations and Additions
CHICKEN - Aside from chicken thighs, you can also use boneless skinless chicken breasts. Or you can use turkey meat too.
WINE - You can also use white wine instead of deglazing the skillet with chicken stock. I tried to keep this recipe as simple as possible. But if you like, you can also add a splash (or two) of sherry.
SPICES - Experiment with spices like Worcestershire sauce, paprika, rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, or onion powder.
How To Make This Recipe
- Brown chicken on all sides in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove once done and set aside.
- Saute onions and mushrooms in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cooked chicken back.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, and mustard, and simmer on medium-low until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Add fresh dill.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Bring your butter and sour cream to room temperature before using. Take them out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan or skillet using a wooden spoon to get all the stuck browned chicken pieces into the sauce.
- Don't bring the sauce to a boil. Keep a gentle simmer until the chicken is cooked. This will keep it tender and juicy.
- DO remove the sauce from the heat before adding the sour cream. Adding it while the sauce is too hot will make it curdle and lose its creaminess.
- Add dissolved cornstarch if you want a thicker sauce. In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk cornstarch into the sauce until well combined.
What To Serve With Chicken Stroganoff
This Chicken Stroganoff is rich, flavorful, and best served with wide egg noodles or rice.
However, feel free to serve it with some mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes.
I recommend serving this dish with homemade bread. Use it to wipe the plate clean! Yum!
How To Store Leftovers
To store your leftovers, let them cool first. Make sure they are not left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Transfer leftovers into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
You can reheat it using the microwave. Make sure you do it in 30-second intervals and stir regularly so the sauce does not curdle.
You can also reheat using your stovetop using low heat while stirring gently. Although I use my microwave, this is my preferred method.
If the sauce is too thick after reheating, add a bit of chicken broth, water, or wine.
More Delicious Comfort Food Recipes
CHICKEN PAPRIKA - Simple chicken dinner with bold flavors.
MUSHROOM PIE - This easy vegetarian dinner is for you if you like mushrooms.
SHRIMP CARBONARA - There's a reason this recipe is a reader favorite. It's simple, elegant, and incredibly delicious.
CHICKEN ALFREDO - This restaurant-quality pasta dish is easy enough for a weeknight meal and impressive enough for company
CHICKEN PARMESAN - Reader Favorite. Tender chicken topped with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1 ½-2 pounds chicken thighs skinless, boneless, cut into bite-sized chunks, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 16 ounces mushrooms sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon dill minced
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken to the skillet and brown for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add onions and mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent and the mushrooms are tender. About 8-10 minutes.
- Return chicken to the skillet. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and mustard. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the chicken has fully cooked. About 7-10 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with fresh dill.
- Only if you want a thicker sauce. In a small bowl whisk cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk cornstarch into the sauce until well combined.