Mint and Feta Cheese Rice is a simple side dish with a huge flavor profile. You can serve it with roasted salmon, grilled chicken, shrimp, beef, or lamb.
Mint rice is a perfect recipe to add to your menu rotation. Make a big batch early in the week and add it to your favorite lunch and dinner recipes.
About mint rice
With just a few ingredients like rice, onion, mint, and feta cheese you’ll create a side dish that is fun to make as it is delicious to serve and eat.
Although originally it’s a side dish, you can easily transform it into a quick lunch. One of my favorite ways is to top it with some shrimp and serve it with a slice of lemon.
Still hungry? Add a slice of warm pita for a delicious, nutritious, healthy lunch.
It may not be everybody’s cup of tea, but I actually love to snack on the leftovers cold or at room temperature. The mint and feta cheese combine beautifully the taste are just incredibly delicious.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Long Grain Rice – Basmati rice works well
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Fresh Mint
- Feta Cheese
How To Make Mint Rice
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Mince the mint and cut the feta cheese into 1/4 inch cubes (or use crumbled feta).
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Combine garlic and onions and sauté until soft – about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken (or vegetable) broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid has completely dissolved – about 20 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and use a fork to fluff the rice. Add the minced fresh mint and chopped feta cheese. Salt to taste. – Serve and enjoy
More easy recipes
- Parsley Pesto
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Roasted Salmon
- Butternut Mac and Cheese
- Chicken Bacon Ranch
- Black Bean Pasta with Mushroom Sauce
Useful Kitchen Tools
- Garlic Press. Hands down the best garlic press – and easy to clean.
- 5-quart Stainless Steel Dutch Oven – One of my favorite pots to use when I cook for just two.
- Professional Chef’s Knife. A high-quality knife is an investment, but it pays off having a well-sharpened knife in the drawer
- Cutting Board
Tips for Making Mint Rice
Mince the fresh mint very finely. I’ve purposely cut larger pieces when I photographed the recipe.
Once the fresh mint comes in contact with the hot rice, the mint will turn a few shades darker.
This recipe works great with grilled chicken, roasted salmon, and for a middle-eastern touch, serve it with cubed lamb.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 16 ounces broth chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons mint minced
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and minced garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions and garlic are translucent and soft.
- Add rice and cook for one minute. Add (chicken or vegetable) broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until all the liquids have dissolved.
- Meanwhile finely mince fresh mint and cut the Feta cheese into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Remove the rice from the oven and use a fork to fluff the rice. Add minced mint and Feta cheese and combine well. – Serve and Enjoy.