Our easy one-pan Cajun Chicken Pasta is a surefire crowd-pleaser and delivers both spicy and creamy flavors in one simple pasta dish.
Made with seasoned cajun chicken, satisfying penne pasta, and smooth cream cheese, this meal is simple to make yet absolutely delicious.
Why This One-Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe Works
SIMPLICITY - All you need is one pan. There's no need to juggle multiple pots and pans; it's all straightforward.
QUICK TO MAKE - Dinner on the table in about 30 minutes. Seriously, this dish is as fast as it is tasty.
BALANCED FLAVORS - Cajun spice meets creamy goodness. It's like Mardi Gras in a pan!
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
CAJUN SEASONING - The star of the show that gives the dish its signature spicy kick.
OLIVE OIL & BUTTER - Used for searing and sautéing all while adding a rich base to the dish.
CHICKEN BREASTS - Use skinless chicken breast and cube it for quicker cooking.
YELLOW ONION & GARLIC - The aromatic backbone that adds depth and complexity.
PENNE PASTA - Our pasta of choice that soaks up all the flavors and gives body to the dish. But you can also use other short pasta such as fusilli or rigatoni.
FIRE-ROASTED TOMATOES - Adds a smoky element and a bit of zing.
CHICKEN BROTH - The liquid gold that brings all the ingredients together.
CREAM CHEESE - Softened and cubed, this adds a creamy element to balance the spice.
GREEN ONIONS - Adds a fresh finish. If you don't like green onions, you can also garnish the dish with fresh parsley.
How To Make Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- SEASON & SEAR - Coat chicken with cajun seasoning sear over medium-high heat in butter and oil. Remove chicken and set aside.
- SAUTÉ & BOIL - Cook onions and garlic, add tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add pasta, and simmer until tender.
- COMBINE - Add chicken back. Melt in cream cheese. Optional: Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Top with green onions.
Recipe Success Tips
ADJUST SPICINESS - Control the heat by using more or less Cajun seasoning.
STIR OCCASIONALLY - Don't forget to stir during simmering to prevent sticking.
HOMEMADE BREAD - Whip up our easy homemade 3-Ingredient Bread with your pasta. It's perfect for soaking up all those yummy juices and makes the meal even better.
STORE - Tightly seal the leftovers in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. You can enjoy it again within the next 3 days.
FREEZE - If you're not planning on eating it soon, portion the dish into zip-top freezer bags. Flatten the bags for easier storage. To eat, make sure to thaw it completely in the fridge beforehand.
REHEAT - To bring your Cajun Chicken Pasta back to life, place it in a skillet and warm it over gentle heat. If the sauce has thickened up, add a splash or two of chicken broth to get it back to the right consistency.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
EASY CHICKEN PARMESAN - Cheesy, saucy goodness made simple.
BUFFALO CHICKEN MAC AND CHEESE - Spicy buffalo chicken meets creamy mac.
CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE - All the comfort of pot pie, easier to make.
DIRTY RICE WITH CHICKEN SAUSAGE - Flavorful cajun rice dish with chicken sausage.
CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE - Hearty chicken and rice in one easy bake.
Please take a moment to rate our Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe below!
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1-½ tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 pound chicken breasts cubed
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ pound penne pasta uncooked
- 1 can (15-ounce) fire roasted tomatoes undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened, cut into cubes
- 3 stalks green onions sliced
- Season the cubed chicken with the cajun seasoning.
- Add butter and olive oil to a large skillet, heat to hot, then add the seasoned chicken and sear on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion and sauté until soft, then add the garlic for 1-2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, add penne pasta. Cover and turn down the heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- 3 minutes before the end of cooking, add back the chicken pieces, then continue to cook, covered.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the heat. If desired season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chopped green onions.