Spice up taco night with this easy Taco Casserole recipe! Even the kids will be asking for seconds of this spin on a Mexican favorite.
The crunchiness of the tortilla chips is softened by the beef mixture topped with the slight tang of the sour cream. The sweetness of fresh tomatoes makes this a refreshing addition to your dinner rotation.
The perfect solution for serving a crowd with no extra prep time and less mess!
For a detailed, printable ingredient list, please use the recipe below.
BEEF - I like to use 85/15 ground beef. You can also opt for for 90/10 or even 96/4 ground beef if you're looking to cut some calories. Because I am choosing a ground beef with a higher fat concentration, I make sure to drain excess fat as possible.
BEANS - Use your favorite can of black beans. Just make sure to wash and drain any excess liquid.
SALSA - Use whichever salsa you prefer. My husband doesn't like super spicy food, so I generally use a mild, chunky salsa.
TORTILLA CHIPS - We are going to use these tortilla chips as our base layer.
SOUR CREAM - What are tacos without a healthy bit of sour cream? For this recipe we use sour cream as one of our top layers.
CHEESE - You can use different cheese, but I like a 2:1 ratio of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. It melts well and tastes delicious.
TOMATO - This is optional. But I recommended that if you have a spare tomato on hand to dice it and sprinkle it over the cheese.
TOPPINGS - You can get super creative with topping. Use as many as you and your family like. The toppings get added after the casserole comes out of the oven. I mostly use whatever I have on hand.
Here are some of our faovrite toppings:
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced green onions
- Extra Sour Cream
- Extra Salsa
How To Make Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Cook and drain ground beef. Combine cooked beef, black beans + salsa in a medium bowl.
- Spread coarsely broken tortilla chips in an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish. Spoon the meat mixture over the tortillas and add a layer of sour cream.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar + Monterey Jack and top with diced tomatoes.
- Bake uncovered at 350° Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Serve over shredded lettuce and top with a dollop of sour cream and olives or scallions.
Tips for Success
- Check the bottom of the bag of tortilla chips for already broken pieces.
- Use pinto beans instead of black beans.
- Like it spicy? Look for spicy salsa and/or spicy chili beans.
- You can also top your taco casserole with jalapeno, extra sour cream, or guacamole.
- Try using black olives instead of green.
Can You Reheat Taco Casserole
You betcha! This dish keeps well overnight. Simply pop it in the microwave and choose the casserole setting. It will automatically calculate the time it takes to reheat.
Not a fan of using the microwave? No problem. Using the oven works just as well.
Preheat the oven to 250° Fahrenheit. Place the casserole dish into the oven and reheat for about 5-10 minutes.
More Easy Weeknight Dinner Ideas
- Chicken Parmesan Recipe - Super cheesy + super easy!
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta - Easy chicken casserole!
- Tater Tot Casserole With Turkey Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Mac 'n Cheese - Fun spin on an American classic!
- Shrimp Carbonara - Restaurant food, just better.
Did you try this easy Taco Casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below! For more recipes and ideas join the free Cheerful Cook Membership.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
Making The Taco Beef Mixture
- Use a large skillet and cook the ground beef over medium heat until cooked through. Use a wooden spoon to break up meat. Transfer the beef into a colandar and drain the excess fat.
- Add the beef back to the skillet and combine with drained black beans and salsa. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the mixture is heated, stirring occasionally.
Building The Taco Casserole
- Cover a 2-quart casserole dish with the coarsely crushed tortilla chips. Layer the beef mixture over the tortilla chips. Add a thin layer of sour cream. Sprinkle with Cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese and top with diced tomato.
- Bake the casserole with 20 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit until the cheese has melted and is bubbly.
Serving The Casserole
- Remove the Taco Casserole from the oven. Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce and top with your favorite toppings.