This super simple Shrimp Carbonara recipe is going to become your new go-to pasta recipe for busy nights!
Using only familiar ingredients you already have on hand, you can whip up this impressive restaurant-quality shrimp recipe you’d expect from an Italian trattoria!
Elegant and decadently delicious Shrimp Carbonara is an incredibly easy pasta recipe. Made with creamy egg yolks, crispy bacon, and Parmesan cheese, this dinner is ready to be served in under 30 minutes.
It’s one of those dishes that once you’ve made it once, you’ll want to make it again and again.
What You’ll Need
- SHRIMP – Look for fresh or frozen deveined white shrimp.
- PASTA – Spaghetti or linguine are both perfect for Shrimp Carbonara.
- EGGS – Two eggs plus one egg yolk. The eggs make the sauce rich and creamy.
- BACON – You can also use pancetta or guanciale (bacon from pork cheeks) in carbonara sauces, but using regular bacon works perfectly fine. And you don’t need to make an extra trip to the store for specialty bacon. We typically have a slab of thick-cut strips of bacon in the fridge and it works great.
- CHEESE – Both Pecorino Romano or parmesan work really well. I use with ever one we have in the fridge. Pecorino is a bit saltier, if I use it I’ll tend to reduce the added salt.
- WATER – Don’t skip the cup of reserved pasta water. It’ll make your sauce really creamy.
To Make Shrimp Carbonara
- Simply cook your pasta and drain, reserving one cup of pasta water.
- Whisk 2 eggs plus additional yolk in a mixing bowl and add the cheese and parsley.
- Separately cook bacon and garlic per recipe and set aside. Cook shrimp in the same pan before reducing heat to low and combining your pasta and egg-cheese mixture, and reserved pasta water.
- Toss for 2-3 minutes before adding garlic and bacon. Combine and top with shrimp. Enjoy!
Favorite Easy Comfort Recipes
- Chicken Meatloaf
- Flammkuchen – German Pizza
- Lasagna Roll Ups – Traditional lasagna with an easy, but elegant spin!
- Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Combine 2 whole eggs plus a third egg yolk in a medium-large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add parmesan cheese, chopped parsley. Set aside.
Making The Sauce
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add bacon and cook on medium-high for 6-8 minutes until the bacon is crispy. Use a slotted spoon and remove the bacon and transfer it on a plate. Pat dry any excess fat with a paper towel and set aside.
- Add minced garlic into the frying pan and cook for 2 minutes in the bacon fat. Use a slotted spoon to remove garlic and add to the bacon.
- Sauté the shrimp in the frying pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side until the shrimp turns pink. Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to its lowest setting. Add cooked, hot pasta toss in the bacon fat/olive oil mixture.
- Pour in egg-cheese mixture and one cup of hot pasta water. Toss the pasta for about 2-3 minutes. Don't skip this step. It will make the pasta creamy.
- Add garlic and bacon to the pasta and combine well. Season with salt and pepper. Top the pasta with the sauteéd shrimp. Serve immediately.