Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki is comfort food with juicy beef and flavorful teriyaki sauce mixed with sweet bell peppers.
Tender beef, soy sauce, and bell peppers combine to create a comforting and flavorful dish.
- staple ingredients
- minimal prep time
- so much better than takeout
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
SOY SAUCE – Acts as the base of the teriyaki sauce, bringing a deep umami flavor.
BEEF BROTH – Adds richness and depth to the sauce.
BROWN SUGAR – Imparts a sweet caramel-like taste, balancing the savory elements.
HONEY – Contributes a natural sweetness and smooth consistency to the sauce.
SEASONING - Garlic, fresh ginger, and red pepper flakes.
RICE VINEGAR – Provides a mild acidity, balancing the sweetness of the sauce.
BEEF CHUCK ROAST – The star of the dish, offering a rich, meaty flavor and tender texture when slow-cooked.
YELLOW ONION & BELL PEPPERS – Add sweetness and a crunchy texture, enhancing the dish's visual appeal.
CORNSTARCH – Thickens the sauce, creating a glossy and rich texture.
How To Make Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Mix Sauce: Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes until sugar dissolves.
- Assemble in Cooker: Place beef in slow cooker, pour half the sauce over, and add onion and bell peppers.
- Slow Cook: Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until beef is tender.
- Thicken Sauce: Stir cornstarch into the remaining teriyaki sauce, add to the cooker, and cook for 30 minutes more.
RICE OR NOODLES – Serve the teriyaki beef over a bed of steamed white or brown rice. The rice will absorb the delicious teriyaki sauce, enhancing the overall flavor. You can also opt for Asian noodles like soba, udon, or rice noodles to complement the teriyaki flavor. Toss them with a bit of sesame oil and soy sauce for extra flavor.
VEGETABLES – Add steamed broccoli or snap peas for extra crunch and nutrition.
Planning and Leftovers
MAKE AHEAD - This dish can be prepared in advance and reheated when needed. It often tastes even better after flavors blend.
STORE - Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
FREEZE - Cool completely and freeze in a suitable container for 2-3 months.
REHEAT - Thaw in the fridge overnight. Warm in the microwave or on the stove until heated through.
Recipe Success Tips
- CONSISTENCY OF SAUCE – Adjust cornstarch for desired thickness.
- CUT OF BEEF – Ensure beef chuck roast is properly cubed for even cooking.
- FLAVOR – Taste and adjust seasoning, especially the sweetness and heat levels.
Commonly Asked Questions
Is teriyaki beef typically made with chuck roast?
Teriyaki beef can be made with various cuts of beef, including chuck roast, flank steak, sirloin, or thinly sliced ribeye. The choice of cut depends on personal preference.
While chuck roast is a common choice for slow cooking due to its tenderness and flavor, other cuts like flank steak, sirloin, or even thinly sliced ribeye can be used to make teriyaki beef.
The key is to ensure the beef is cooked to tender perfection and coated with the delicious teriyaki sauce.
How do I know when the beef is done cooking?
The beef should be tender and easily shredded with a fork when it's done. It typically takes 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high in the slow cooker.
Can I make this recipe with chicken instead of beef?
Yes, you can substitute chicken breasts or thighs for the beef if you prefer a poultry option.
What's the difference between teriyaki sauce and soy sauce?
Teriyaki sauce typically contains soy sauce as a base but is sweetened with sugar or honey and flavored with other ingredients like garlic and ginger for a sweet and savory profile.
More Easy And Delicious Beef Recipes
GROUND BEEF STROGANOFF - Creamy sauce with mushrooms and ground beef.
BEEF TACO - A cheesy, beefy bake with taco flavors.
EASY SHEPHERD'S PIE - Layered beef, veggies, and mashed potatoes baked together.
Please take a moment to rate our Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki recipe below!
Slow Cooker Beef Teriyaki
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger fresh, grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes adjust to your spice preference
- 2 ½ pounds beef chuck roast cut into cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, and red pepper flakes in a mixing bowl. Mix until the sugar has dissolved..
- Place the cubed beef in the slow cooker. Pour half of the prepared teriyaki sauce over the beef, reserving the other half (about 1 cup). Layer the onion and bell peppers on top of the beef.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. The beef should become tender and flavorful.
- About 30 minutes before serving, whisk the cornstarch into the reserved teriyaki sauce. Whisk until smooth. Pour teriyaki mixture into the slow cooker and gently stir to combine.
- Continue cooking for the remaining 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are tender.
Slow Cooker Times:On Low: 6-8 hours
On High: 3-4 hours