Spaghetti Ice Cream ('Spaghetti Eis') is a wildly popular German ice cream treat. It's as much fun to make as it is to eat! The goal is to create an ice cream treat that looks like spaghetti with tomato sauce and parmesan.
Vanilla Ice cream, strawberry sauce, and white chocolate in a bowl. What's not to love?!
And it's so cool when a dessert is as much a feast for the eyes as it is for the palette! Don't you love when people talk about your food?!
What You'll Need To Make Spaghetti Ice Cream
TIP - Look for yellow vanilla ice cream (instead of a pure white brand). It adds that extra bit of 'realism' to your spaghetti.
To make a strawberry sauce, you can use your favorite strawberry jam or your very own homemade strawberry sauce.
TIP - You can use the leftover strawberry sauce as a topping for Belgian Waffles.
Making 'white chocolate parmesan' is easy!
All you do is put some white chocolate (or white chocolate chips) in a food processor and pulse several times until it has the same consistency as parmesan cheese.
Making Spaghetti Ice Cream
- Begin by placing a heap of the whipped cream into an ice cream bowl.
- Fill your potato ricer with vanilla ice cream and press the ice cream through the holes. Use a fluid motion to create a long string of spaghetti.
- Place the bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
This will help keep the spaghetti shape when you're serving the dessert.
It will also lightly freeze the whipped cream and create a unique texture that makes spaghetti ice cream so delicious.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and top it with strawberry sauce.
- Sprinkle with white chocolate shavings.
Spaghetti ice cream, or 'Spaghettieis', was invented in Mannheim, Germany, by an Italian immigrant named Dario Fontanella in the 1960s.
Today you'll find 'Spaghettieis' (Spaghetti Ice Cream in German) on the menu of most ice cream parlors in Germany. If you've been to Germany, you know that Ice Cream Parlors are pretty much on every street corner.
Even the smallest villages will usually have one or more ice cream parlors.
While we often think of Germans as meat-loving, beer-drinking people, they also have a well-established ice cream culture.
And German food culture benefits from Italian 'commuters' who open ice shops during the summer months in Germany before they return to Italy in the winter.
It's almost always served with a flat wafer that's used to scoop up the ice cream.
More Easy Recipes You'll Love
No Churn Pistachio Ice Cream - just 4 ingredients
2 Ingredient Ice Cream Bread (Viral TikTok Recipe)
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 4 tablespoons strawberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon white chocolate
- Place a heap of whipped cream into an ice cream bowl.
- Fill a potato ricer with vanilla ice cream. Press the ice cream through the potato ricer and move in a folding motion to create the spaghetti strands.
- Freeze the ice cream bowl for 15 minutes.
- Remove the spaghetti ice cream from the freezer and add the strawberry sauce. Drizzle with white chocolate shavings.