These homemade Cinnamon Twists are sweet, buttery, crunchy, and simply addicting.
And they make a great addition to any holiday dessert table. Best of all, you'll just need 4 simple ingredients to make this easy recipe. Puff pastry, butter, sugar, and cinnamon.
German Zimtstangen/American Cinnamon Twists
When you first hear about Cinnamon Twists, you might think of Taco Bell.
But this Cinnamon Twists recipe is inspired by a German dessert recipe my German Oma (grandmother) taught me when I was little.
Being in her 90s, Oma no longer bakes herself. But sharing our baking memories is still fun. Recently we chatted about one of our other favorite puff pastry desserts - Strudel Cookies.
That's when she reminded me of the "Zimtstangen". So I went into my kitchen and began to tinker. And that's how our "German Zimtstangen" became "American Cinnamon Twists." And instant hit in our house. I hope you enjoy them, too.
Why This Recipe Works
QUICK & EASY - You're good to go as long as you have puff pastry sheets in your freezer. Besides that, you'll need a bit of butter, sugar, and cinnamon. All ingredients you'll already have in your fridge and freezer.
TASTE AND TEXTURE - These treats are both deliciously sweet and crunchy. Perfect for a little afternoon treat.
KID-FRIENDLY - This recipe is perfect for involving your kids. Who doesn't love to dip and twist dough in cinnamon sugar?
For a printable detailed ingredient list, please check the recipe card below.
PUFF PASTRY - Use a sheet of puff pastry. You'll find these in the freezer aisle of the grocery store. Remove them from the freezer about 30 minutes before preparing the recipe.
BUTTER - Use unsalted butter for this recipe.
COATING - Cinnamon and sugar.
📌 Save This Cinnamon Twists!
How To Make Cinnamon Twists
PREP. Defrost the puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- CUT - Slice puff pastry into strips (1¼ x 3-5 inches).
- DIP - Melt the butter and pour it into a shallow bowl. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a second shallow bowl.
- TWIST & BAKE - Dip the strips of puff pastry into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Twist the puff pastry and put it on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
More Sweet Treats You'll Love
- Chai Spiced Cookies
- Key Lime Cookies - perfect summer cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Nut Bread
- Apricot Tart - just 4 ingredients!
Did you enjoy these Cinnamon Sticks? Please leave a rating and comment below!
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 stick butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- Defrost puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter and transfer it into a shallow bowl. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a separate shallow bowl
- Cut puff pastry into strips ( about 1¼ x 3-5 inches).
- Dip each strip of puff pastry into the butter and coat thoroughly.
- Dip the buttered strips into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and coat well. Twist the strips and place onto a parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
I love these. They are the perfect hit for a sunday morning brunch!
We love anything with puff pastry! It's so buttery and delicious! Loved how you made the twist with it!
I love how quick and easy these come together. Perfect to satisfy a snack craving.
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes)
I seriously love all of the sweet flavors in this. And its so easy!
I love any kind of cinnamon dessert and this looks amazing.
Thank you! I hope you get to try it. It's delicious and addicting. 😉