These homemade Cinnamon Twists are sweet, buttery, crunchy and quite simply addicting.
And they make a great addition to any holiday dessert table. Best of all you’ll just need 4 simple ingredients to make this easy recipe. Puff pastry, butter, sugar, and cinnamon.
Cinnamon twists are inspired by a recipe I used to with my German grandmother (Oma). She and I were chatting the other day about how much fun we used to have baking together.
Being in her 90s Oma no longer bakes herself. But sharing our baking memories is still fun.
Oma was a great baker – and a practical woman. So she always appreciated easy recipes that very little time.
Recently I told her I had made Strudel Cookies. And that I was thinking about making more German cookie recipes.
That’s when she reminded me of the “Zimtstangen” that we used to make. She didn’t have a recipe but reminded me of all the pertinent information. So I went into my kitchen and began to tinker with this recipe.
And so our ‘ German Zimtstangen’ became ‘American Cinnamon Twists’. It became an instant hit in our house. I hope you enjoy them, too.
The recipe is pretty straightforward and chances are you don’t even need to go shopping.
Because all you need are 4 ingredients that you’ll probably already have in your pantry and freezer.
- PUFF PASTRY – Use a sheet of puff pastry
- BUTTER – Use unsalted butter for this recipe
- COATING – Cinnamon, sugar
📌 Save This Cinnamon Twists!
How To Make Cinnamon Twists
- PREP: Defrost the puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Layout the puff pastry and cut it into strips (1¼ x 3-5 inch). You don’t have to be terribly precise.
- Melt the butter and pour it into a shallow bowl. Use another shallow bowl and combine cinnamon and sugar.
- Dip the strips of puff pastry into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Twist the puff pastry and put it on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer onto a cooling rack and allow to cool.
More Sweet Treats You’ll Love
- Chai Spiced Cookies
- Key Lime Cookies – perfect summer cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Nut Bread
- Apricot Tart – just 4 ingredients!
Did you enjoy these Cinnamon Sticks? Please leave a rating and comment below!
- Defrost puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter and transfer it into a shallow bowl. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a separate shallow bowl
- Cut puff pastry into strips ( about 1¼ x 3-5 inches).
- Dip each strip of puff pastry into the butter and coat thoroughly.
- Dip the buttered strips into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and coat well. Twist the strips and place onto a parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.