Our homemade Cinnamon Twists are sweet, buttery, crunchy, and simply addicting. And they make a great addition to any holiday dessert table.
Best of all, you'll need 4 simple ingredients to make this easy recipe. Puff pastry, butter, sugar, and cinnamon.
German Zimtstangen/American Cinnamon Twists
When you first hear about Cinnamon Twists, you might think of Taco Bell.
But this Cinnamon Twists recipe is inspired by a German dessert recipe my German Oma (grandmother) taught me when I was little.
Being in her 90s, Oma no longer bakes. But sharing our baking memories is still fun. Recently, we chatted about one of our other favorite puff pastry desserts - Strudel Cookies.
That's when she reminded me of the "Zimtstangen." So, I went into my kitchen and began to tinker. And that's how our "German Zimtstangen" became "American Cinnamon Twists." An instant hit in our house. I hope you enjoy them, too.
Why This Cinnamon Twist Recipe Works
QUICK & EASY - You're good to go as long as you have puff pastry sheets in your freezer. Besides that, you'll need a bit of butter, sugar, and cinnamon. All ingredients you'll already have in your fridge and freezer.
TASTE AND TEXTURE - These treats are both deliciously sweet and crunchy. Perfect for a little afternoon treat.
KID-FRIENDLY - This recipe is perfect for involving your kids. Who doesn't love to dip and twist dough in cinnamon sugar?
For a printable detailed ingredient list, please check the recipe card below.
PUFF PASTRY - Use a sheet of puff pastry. You'll find these in the freezer aisle of the grocery store. Remove them from the freezer about 30 minutes before preparing the recipe.
BUTTER - Use unsalted butter for this recipe.
COATING - Cinnamon and sugar.
📌 Save This Cinnamon Twists!
How To Make Cinnamon Twists
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- CUT - Slice puff pastry into strips (1¼ x 3-5 inches).
- DIP - Melt the butter and pour it into a shallow bowl. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a second shallow bowl.
- TWIST & BAKE - Dip the strips of puff pastry into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Twist the puff pastry and put it on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
STORE - Keep leftover cinnamon twists in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
FREEZE - Place cooled cinnamon twists in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Transfer to an airtight container or zip-top bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
REHEAT - To re-crisp, preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and bake for 5-7 minutes until warmed through and crispy. Avoid microwaving as they may become soggy.
More Sweet Treats You'll Love
OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES - Classic chewy oatmeal cookies made with sweet raisins.
COOL WHIP COOKIES - Delicious, soft, and cakelike cookies made with 4 ingredients.
GERMAN CHEESECAKE - With simple ingredients, you can find in every American supermarket
GERMAN CRUMB CAKE - Light, airy texture with just enough sweetness and crunch coming from the jam, crumble, and almonds.
APRICOT TART - A super simple fruity dessert made with just 4 ingredients!
Did you enjoy these Cinnamon Sticks? Please leave a rating and comment below!
- Defrost puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter and transfer it into a shallow bowl. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a separate shallow bowl
- Cut puff pastry into strips ( about 1¼ x 3-5 inches).
- Dip each strip of puff pastry into the butter and coat thoroughly.
- Dip the buttered strips into the cinnamon-sugar mixture and coat well. Twist the strips and place onto a parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.