Our easy Shepherd's Pie is comfort food at its finest, perfect for feeding the whole family.
Its hearty layers of ground beef, peas and carrots, and fluffy mashed potatoes make it a crowd-pleaser.
Why This Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe Works
EASY - This recipe is beginner-friendly and perfect for those just starting out in the kitchen.
PANTRY-FRIENDLY - Most of these ingredients are pantry staples, meaning you don't have to make a special trip to the store.
ONE-DISH WONDER - It's a complete meal in one dish, cutting down on your cleanup time.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY - The universally loved ingredients make it a hit with both kids and adults.
VERSATILE - Easily customizable with your favorite veggies or meat substitutes.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
LEAN GROUND BEEF - It's the main event. Lean keeps it from getting too greasy but still brings the flavor.
YELLOW POTATOES - They mash up nice and creamy, making them ideal for the top layer. Look for Yukon gold potatoes, but any yellow potato variety will work.
BUTTER - Adds a rich flavor to your potatoes. Using unsalted lets you control the salt level yourself.
MILK - Smooths out the mashed potatoes, making them easier to spread over the meat and veggies.
SALT AND PEPPER - Give your mashed potatoes that need a punch. Adjust to your liking.
FROZEN PEAS AND CARROTS - They bring a pop of color and a dose of veggies, all while keeping the prep time down.
How To Make An Easy Sheperd's Pie
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- POTATOES - Cook your potato chunks until tender, then mash with butter, milk, salt, and pepper.
- BEEF - Brown your ground beef, drain excess grease, then stir in gravy mix and water. Simmer until the meat mixture thickens.
- LAYER - In a casserole dish, layer beef at the bottom, followed by a layer of peas and carrots, and mashed potatoes.
- BAKE - Top with mashed potatoes and bake at 400º Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Recipe Success Tips
QUALITY BEEF - Go for lean but not extra-lean beef for better flavor.
VEGGIE VARIETY - Feel free to add corn or green beans if you like.
NO LUMPS - Ensure your mashed potatoes are smooth for the perfect topping.
CUCUMBER SALAD - A simple German Cucumber Salad balances out the hearty Shepherd's Pie.
BREAD - A slice of warm, homemade bread rounds out this dish.
COLESLAW - Adds a tangy crunch.
STORE - Wrap your Shepherd's Pie tightly in plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container, then store it in the refrigerator. It will keep well for up to 3 days.
FREEZE - Place your Shepherd's Pie in an airtight container or wrap it well in freezer-safe material for longer storage. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
REHEAT - When you're ready to enjoy your leftovers, preheat your oven to 350º Fahrenheit and bake until the pie is heated through, which should take about 20 minutes.
More Easy Weeknight Dinner Recipes
SAUSAGE AND HASHBROWN CASSEROLE - Breakfast for Dinner.
FRIED CABBAGE NOODLES - Easy German comfort food, perfect for busy weeknights.
CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE - Classic chicken casserole - simplified.
PIZZA CASSEROLE - All your favorite pizza toppings in one hearty casserole!
CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE - Quick and easy weeknight casserole.
Please take a moment to rate our Easy Sheperd's Pie recipe below!
- Preheat oven to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Fill a large pot of water. Place the potatoes into the pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- While the potatoes boil, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. If necessary, drain excess fat.
- Add the brown gravy mix and water and simmer for 5 minutes to reduce and thicken. Remove the cooked ground beef from the heat and set aside.
- Defrost the vegetables in the microwave. Drain well.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to a 9x13 casserole dish. Spread the vegetables in an even layer on top of the meat.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the same pot. Add butter, milk, salt, and pepper, and cover, off heat, for 2 minutes to let the butter melt. Mash the potatoes thoroughly with a potato masher until smooth and creamy.
- Top the meat and vegetables with the mashed potatoes, spreading them to the edge of the pan and leveling the top of the potatoes so that they are smooth. Use a fork to create a pattern on the top of the potatoes.
- Bake the Shepherd’s Pie at 400º Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes, then serve.