Sausage and Hash Brown Casserole combines the biggest breakfast flavors into a delicious and easy-to-make breakfast dish.
Tender hash browns, savory sausage, and velvety Cheddar cheese are the stars of this 'may I please have some more' casserole.
Why This Recipe Works
SIMPLICITY - This casserole requires 6 simple ingredients. That's it.
QUICK - Prep is easy and takes just about 10-15 minutes. And this breakfast casserole is ready to be on the table in just under an hour.
FAMILY FAVORITE - Surprise your family with this comforting recipe. Perfect for breakfasts or brunch. Easy and delicious.
My family loves this hash brown casserole recipe. Sausage, potatoes, and cheese have always been favorites in our house and this recipe has all the good stuff.
SAUSAGE - Breakfast sausage works really well. But you can also use chicken sausage.
HASH BROWNS - You can make your own or simply pick up frozen ones.
FLOUR & MILK - Used to add creaminess to the sausage mixture.
CHEESE - Our family loves Cheddar Cheese but you can definitely experience with different kinds of cheese.
GREEN ONIONS - This is optional but it adds flavor and color to the casserole. But if you don't have any, you can still make an amazing tasty breakfast casserole.
How To Make Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- COOK SAUSAGE - Use a large skillet to cook sausages over medium-high heat until brown. Sprinkle with flour and add milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- ASSEMBLE - Spread the shredded hash browns in the casserole dish. Add the sausage mixture over the hash browns. Top with green onions and shredded Cheddar cheese.
- BAKE - For 40-45 minutes at 350º Fahrenheit.
Recipe Success Tips
- COOKING TIP: Use a block of (Cheddar) cheese and grate it yourself.
- pre-grated cheese contains fillers and preservatives to keep the cheese fresh and prevent it from clumping.
- Freshly grated cheese has none of that. And it also melts a lot better.
- pre-grated cheese will often be more expensive, too.
- TOOL TIP: I like a simple shredder/grater like this one.
- BREAKFAST SAUSAGE:
- I used fresh sausage, but you can use frozen breakfast sausages instead.
- If you use frozen sausage, allow for some extra time to defrost the sausages.
More Easy Recipes To Feed A Crowd
Krautfeckerl - This German version of classic Haluski is the perfect midweek dinner.
Ham and Noodle Casserole - An egg noodle casserole with ham, egg, and cheese.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta - Quick and easy!
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese - A creamy, cheesy, mildly spicy and smoky mac and cheese.
Easy Cheesy Chicken Parmesan - Tender and crispy breaded chicken baked to perfection in marinara sauce and topped with cheese.
Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage diced, cooked
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk whole milk
- 16 ounces hash browns frozen
- 1 cup green onions 4-5 stalks, diced
- 1½ cups Cheddar shredded, about 6 ounces
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Grease and 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Use a large skillet to cook sausages over medium-high heat until brown. About 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and add milk. Bring to a boil.
- Stir frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. About 1 minute.
- Spread the shredded hash browns on the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the sausage mixture over the hash browns. Top with green onions and shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Doesn't anyone grow or use potatoes rather than frozen ones? Can you tell me how to convert a recipe to raw potatoes? Thanks?
Use 2 lbs of fresh all-purpose potatoes. (Any waxy potato will work.) Use a grater to shred the potatoes. Transfer the shredded potatoes onto a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze excess water (there will be quite a bit of water). Season with salt and pepper and substitute for hash browns.
PS: Coming next week - Potato Pancake recipe with fresh, grated potatoes. 🙂