Krautfleckerl is a rich and hearty fried cabbage and noodles dish with ham and bacon. This rustic German recipe has all the elements of great comfort food: crispy bacon, cubed ham, soft onions, cabbage, tender pasta, and hint of nutty Parmesan cheese.
Krautfleckerl is also known as Haluski all over Eastern Europe. The two dishes are very similar. In Germany, this recipe is called Krautfleckerl (‘crowd-f-lack-earl’ … say that three times fast!).
And as recipes go, this one falls under the ‘Hausmannkost’. What is Hausmannskost, you ask? Traditional, rustic, and comforting family food.
- 12 ounces Egg Noodles
- 6 pieces Bacon, sliced
- 1 cup Ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 large Onion, sliced
- 4 cups Cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Make It
- Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve one cup of starchy pasta water.
- Cook bacon and ham until crispy. Remove the bacon and ham with a slotted spoon but keep bacon grease and add olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and brown in the bacon fat and olive oil.
- Add the cabbage to the onions and cook until wilted.
- Toss in bacon, ham, parmesan cheese, and cooked pasta. Toss until warm over medium heat. If the pasta looks a little dry, add a little of your reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper.
EXPERT TIP: If you want to enhance the flavor of cabbage, soak your shredded cabbage for one hour before cooking. This will make it sweeter.
Tips and Tricks for Dealing with Cabbage
- Quality cabbage will have no discolored outer leaves and will be heavy.
- The head is compact and the leaves are not separating from the head.
- Look for cabbages that are on the smaller side, about 2 pounds. They are more tender.
- Cut the cabbage and store in an air-tight container instead of storing the whole head of cabbage.
- Turn the cabbage upside down. First, cut it in half and then cut the halves into quarters.
- Put each quarter on its side and use a sharp large knife to slice out the core. Shred the quarters by thinly slicing crosswise.
More Easy Comfort Food Ideas
- Shrimp Carbonara
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese
- Ultra Cheese Chicken Parmesan
- Ground Beef Taco Casserole
Did you try Krautfleckerl?
Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- Cook and drain the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve one cup of pasta water.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until almost crispy. Add the diced ham and cook until it begins to crisp. Use a slotted spoon and remove ham and bacon from the skillet. Set aside.
- Keep the bacon and ham fat in the skillet and add olive oil. Add onions into the skillet, stir occasionally, cover with a lid and sauté for 15 minutes on medium-low heat. The onions should be soft and brown.
- Add the cabbage and sauté until it wilts about 5-8 minutes.
- Add bacon, ham, parmesan cheese, and egg noodles. Toss over medium heat for one minute. If the pasta looks too dry, add a small amount of reserved pasta water. Serve and enjoy.