This quick and easy Cheesy Beef and Bean Casserole is a delicious recipe the whole family will love.
Tender beef and beans are baked in a delicious tomato-based sauce and finished with a layer of gooey melted Cheddar cheese.
With just a few minutes of prep, the dish is ready to go into the oven.
I like to serve this recipe with a quick side salad such as a German cucumber salad.
If you want to pack some extra veggies into this meal, you can also serve it with the Broccoli and Cauliflower salad.
For dessert (especially during the fall months) I love to serve a bit of Apple Crisp. It's a perfect ending to this home-cooked comfort dinner.
BEEF - For this recipe, I like 90/10 ground beef. But if you want some extra flavor you can go for 85/15 or 80/20. Just make sure that you drain the excess fat after browning the meat. Otherwise, your casserole will become too greasy.
BEANS - We like red kidney beans but you could also use black beans or your favorite beans.
SALSA - My family isn't very adventurous when it comes to spicy food so I choose a mild, chunky salsa. But you can easily make this recipe your own and choose a spicier salsa.
TOMATOES - I typically opt for a can of no or low-salt-diced tomatoes. But this is another opportunity to customize this recipe to your own liking. You can also use fire-roasted diced tomatoes or if you like it super spicy try Canned Hot Diced Tomatoes with Jalapeno and Habanero.
CHEESE - Sharp cheddar works really well but you can also use Monterey Jack cheese. I always recommend using a block of cheese and shredding it yourself. It's cheaper, melts better, and doesn't have any of these pesky preservatives. But if you have pre-shredded chees
How To Make Beef and Bean Casserole
This is such an easy and low-prep casserole dish perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
- BROWN BEEF - Brown the ground beef over medium heat in a large skillet.
- COMBINE - Blend diced tomatoes in a food processor until smooth. Add cooked beef, beans, tomatoes, salsa, and chili powder into a 9x13 casserole baking dish.
- BAKE - Bake covered with foil for 25-30 minutes at 400º Fahrenheit. Remove cover and continue to bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
What To Serve With This Casserole
You can enjoy the beef and bean and beef casserole as is.
TORTILLA CHIPS - I like to serve it over a handful of restaurant-style tortilla chips and with a dollop (or two) of sour cream. Sprinkle it with a few finely chopped green onions for some visual appeal.
RICE - My husband likes his Beef and Bean Casserole with a side of rice. So most of the time I'll serve this casserole dish with a side of basmati or jasmine rice.
More Easy Casserole Dishes
German Ham and Noodle - German casserole dish perfect for the entire family.
Sausage and Hash Brown - Breakfast or dinner. This casserole is always a winner.
Beef Taco Casserole - A fun and easy casserole perfect for a quick weekday dinner.
Bacon Chicken Ranch Casserole - Pasta, chicken, bacon, and ranch. Need I say more?
Lasagna Rolls - Impress your family with this creative twist on classic lasagna.
Bean and Beef Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Brown ground beef over medium heat in a large skillet. Remove excess fat.
- Blend canned diced tomatoes into a food processor. Purée until smooth.
- Combine the cooked ground beef, beans, tomatoes, salsa, and chili powder in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes.