This rustic homemade Tomato Soup Recipe is easy to make and incredibly flavorful.
The stars of this showstopper soup are fresh, ripe, and juicy tomatoes, complimented by fresh basil, garlic, and olive oil. So simple but oh so flavorful!
Why This Tomato Soup Recipe Works
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS - The short ingredients list packs a big flavor punch. This quick and easy soup is absolutely delicious. It's a bit more 'brothy' than its creamy tomato soup cousin, but that underlines its rustic nature.
QUICK TO MAKE - No all-day simmering required! Your tasty soup will be ready in about 30 minutes.
HEALTHY - Tomatoes are a great source of vitamins, and olive oil adds good fats. We let the depth of flavor of the tomatoes shine. And because this is a dairy-free soup, we don't need to add butter or heavy cream.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
TOMATOES - The star of the dish, providing both color and deep flavor. If you can, look for tomatoes at a farmer's market. Heirloom tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, or Roma tomatoes are great choices.
Choosing Tomatoes and Storing Tomatoes
- Look for evenly colored, bright red tomatoes. Those are key indicators for ripeness.
- Non-shriveled, green stems.
- Avoid refrigerating tomatoes. They become mealy. Store them in a dark, cool place at 55 - 60 degrees Fahrenheit if possible.
- Avoid stacking the tomatoes. The top part around the stem tends to bruise most easily.
OLIVE OIL - Adds a smooth richness to the soup's texture.
GARLIC - Puts that aromatic kick into every spoonful.
BASIL - Offers a herby lift that brightens up the soup.
SUGAR - Optional, but can balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
How To Make This Tomato Soup Recipe
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and basil, then bring to a quick boil.
- Lower the heat and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to puree the soup, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
OPTIONAL: To undercut the acidity of the tomatoes, I like to add a tablespoon (or two) of sugar. This will enhance the sweetness of the tomato. I don't always do this because sometimes the tomato's natural sweetness is enough.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- A nice by-product of this soup is that it's healthy. Although it's not the first thing you'll think about when you try this soup. It is good to know that this is a 'good for you' recipe.
- Tomatoes are full of lycopene (immune-boosting antioxidants). So enjoy a steaming bowl of soup and take care of your body at the same time. It's a win-win.
Do you love the taste of fresh tomatoes? Be sure to try our chopped German Tomato Salad (it's my Mom's recipe).
Can I use dried basil instead of fresh?
- Adding fresh basil adds that extra bit of oomph to this soup. But you can use dried basil just as well.
- Even better, making your own dried herbs is easier than you think. And ever since I've found out how to dry herbs myself, I have reached more and more for the dried herbs.
The consistency is really up to you. If you like a smooth soup, blend it slightly longer, but blend less if you like a chunkier soup.
If you don't have a hand blender (immersion blender), transfer the soup into a countertop blender and puree until smooth.
GRILLED CHEESE - Pair this soup with a simple grilled cheese sandwich for a full meal.
CRUSTY BREAD - A slice of fresh bread can be a great side.
SALAD - A light, leafy salad complements the rich soup very well. Our famous German Cucumber Salad is a great option.
CRACKERS - Add a bit of crunch with a handful of crackers.
For dessert, I love a slice of PB & J Dessert Bars.
STORE - Place any leftover soup in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
FREEZE - You can freeze this soup in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
REHEAT - For the best results, reheat the soup on the stove over medium heat, stirring often.
More Easy and Delicious Comfort Food Recipes
HUNGARIAN GOULASH - big flavors with just a handful of ingredients
SAUSAGE AND HASHBROWN CASSEROLE - perfect 'breakfast for dinner' recipe
HAM AND NOODLE CASSEROLE- perfect recipe when you're strapped for time
CHICKEN STROGANOFF - a spin on classic Beef Stroganoff but just as delicious
BROILED SALMON - 3 ingredients (no oil)
Please take a moment to rate our Tomato Soup recipe below!
- Use a large pot or Dutch oven and heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and sauté until lightly brown and fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender (or transfer into a food processor) and puréee until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. OPTIONAL: Add a tablespoon of sugar.