Our easy Thai Red Curry Chicken recipe is perfect for an easy one-pan dinner your family will love!
The fragrant ginger, deeply aromatic, and mild red curry paste give this Thai Red Curry Chicken an outstanding taste and smooth buttery texture.
Thai Red Curry Chicken Recipe Highlights
- Quick 30-minute recipe
- Richer than takeout
- Versatile protein options
- Comforting and creamy
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
- VEGETABLE OIL – Starts the sauté and carries the flavors.
- CHICKEN BROTH – Adds depth and forms the base of the sauce.
- FISH SAUCE – Infuses the dish with a unique savory note.
- COCONUT CREAM – Brings richness and a creamy texture to the curry.
SPICES & AROMATICS
- RED CURRY PASTE – The backbone of flavor, offering a vibrant heat.
- GARLIC – Provides an aromatic kick.
- GINGER – Introduces a warm, zesty undertone.
- LEMONGRASS PASTE – Adds a citrusy, floral note.
PROTEINS & VEGGIES
- CHICKEN THIGHS – Tender and flavorful, they absorb the curry well.
- SWEET POTATO – Adds sweetness and body to the curry.
- RED BELL PEPPER – Offers a sweet crunch, adding color and freshness.
GARNISHES & EXTRAS
- BASIL AND CILANTRO – Fresh herbs brighten the dish with a pop of color and flavor.
- RED CHILI – Optional for those who enjoy an extra spicy kick.
- LIME WEDGES – Squeeze on top for a zesty finish that balances the creamy richness.
How To Make Thai Red Chicken Curry
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and fry garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and red curry paste until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth and sweet potatoes, boil, then simmer with fish sauce, brown sugar, and coconut cream.
- Add chicken and simmer until cooked.
- Stir in red bell peppers and chilies, garnish with basil and cilantro, and serve.
Recipe Success Tips
LOW AND SLOW – Simmering the sauce gently allows the flavors to meld beautifully.
TASTE AND ADJUST – Personalize your curry by adjusting the spice levels and seasonings to your liking.
GARNISH GENEROUSLY – Fresh herbs and a squeeze of lime can transform the dish, adding freshness and zest.
QUALITY INGREDIENTS – Opt for a high-quality red curry paste and coconut cream for the best flavor.
PREP AHEAD – Chop your sweet potatoes and chicken in advance to make the cooking process smoother.
STEAMED RICE – Jasmine rice or coconut rice makes the perfect bed for this rich curry. Our mint rice also complements this recipe very well.
CRISP VEGGIES – Steamed broccoli or snap peas can add a fresh, crunchy contrast.
FLATBREADS – Serve with naan or roti for a delightful scoop-and-eat experience.
STORE – Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, ensuring freshness.
FREEZE – Freeze portions in freezer-safe containers for a quick and easy meal.
REHEAT – Gently reheat on the stove, adding a water or coconut milk splash to bring back the creamy consistency.
Commonly Asked Questions
What variations or substitutions can I make?
You can use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs (be careful not to overcook the meat as it may become tough). You may also choose to use pork or even your favorite fish!
What Can I substitute for lemongrass?
If you don't have lemongrass paste, lemon zest is a great substitute with a little lemon juice. For each tablespoon of lemongrass paste, use the zest of one lemon combined with 1 ½ teaspoons of lemon juice to mimic the citrusy flavor of lemongrass.
More Easy and Delicious Chicken Dinner Recipes
Please take a moment to rate our Thai Red Curry Chicken recipe below!
Thai Red Curry Chicken
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh, peeled and minced (about 1 ½ -inch in length)
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled and chopped, ~ 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream unsweetened
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red chili thinly sliced
- basil fresh, torn (optional)
- Heat vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet set over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and red curry paste, stir to combine, and fry for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, and the sweet potatoes, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add the fish sauce, brown sugar, and coconut cream. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed chicken to the sauce and allow it to cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the red peppers, and red chilies (if using).
- Garnish with torn basil leaves and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Spoon curry into big bowls with a wedge of lime.