Marry Me Chicken is known for its rich and creamy sauce, tender chicken, and the playful notion that it's so good it could prompt a marriage proposal.
This easy chicken recipe combines tender chicken breasts, sun-dried tomatoes, and a luscious cream sauce with sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil.
Why Our Marry Me Chicken Recipe Works
EASY - All of the ingredients are using items you likely have on hand.
FITS ANY MEAL - Great for a weeknight dinner or when friends come over.
WONDERFUL SMELL - Cooking this dish fills your kitchen with a delicious aroma.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
CHICKEN - Use skinless, boneless chicken breast that is sliced in half lengthways to ensure quick and even cooking. The chicken acts as the perfect canvas for the flavors of the sauce.
OLIVE OIL & BUTTER - Used for searing the chicken, adding a layer of richness, and helping to build the sauce's base. As always, I use unsalted butter.
ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR - Helps thicken the sauce to the perfect consistency, ensuring it clings beautifully to the chicken.
GARLIC - Minced garlic adds flavor that goes well with the creamy sauce and cheese.
WHITE WINE - A dry white wine deglazes the pan and adds a subtle acidity that balances the creaminess of the sauce. If you don't have white wine or are trying to avoid it, use chicken broth instead and add a splash of lemon or white wine vinegar (it adds a bit of acidity that balances the creaminess).
CREAM - Thickens and smoothes, giving it a rich taste that's really comforting.
SUN-DRIED TOMATOES - Chopped sun-dried tomatoes offer a sweet, tangy contrast to the rich sauce, adding a chewy texture and vibrant color.
PARMESAN CHEESE - Freshly grated parmesan (yes, that is better than the one from the bottle) adds a nutty, salty flavor and complements the chicken perfectly.
TOMATO PASTE - Concentrated tomato flavor that deepens the sauce's color and taste.
How To Make Marry Me Chicken
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet, then sear chicken on both sides until done. Set aside.
- Use the same skillet to cook flour and garlic into a paste. Add white wine, scrape the pan, and mix in tomato paste.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream, stirring until smooth. Add sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, and Parmesan, cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Return chicken to the skillet, simmer briefly in the sauce, then garnish with fresh basil to serve.
PASTA PAIRING - Serve over a bed of al dente spaghetti or your favorite pasta (linguini is another great choice) to soak up the delicious sauce.
STEAMED VEGETABLES - Steamed asparagus or green beans offer a healthy, vibrant side that pairs beautifully with the creamy chicken.
Planning and Leftovers
STORE - Cool the chicken and sauce completely before transferring to an airtight container. You can refrigerate the chicken for up to 3 days.
FREEZE - For longer storage, freeze the cooled chicken and sauce in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
REHEAT - Warm the chicken and sauce gently on the stove over low
Recipe Success Tips
PROPER SEASONING - Ensure each chicken piece is well-seasoned before searing to lock in flavors.
LOW AND SLOW - Simmer the sauce gently to prevent the dairy from separating and to achieve the perfect consistency.
FRESH INGREDIENTS - Use fresh basil and freshly grated Parmesan for the best flavor and aroma.
ADJUST THICKNESS - If the sauce is too thick, a splash of pasta water or chicken broth can thin it to your desired consistency.
Commonly Asked Questions
Why is it Called Marry Me Chicken?
This dish is on social media. It’s said that the recipe is so good and tasty that it is sure to encourage proposals!
More Easy and Delicious Chicken Recipes
CREAMY CAST IRON CHICKEN THIGHS - Savory, skillet-cooked in and herbed cream sauce.
AIR FRYER CHICKEN CUTLETS - Experience crispy, juicy chicken cutlets made quickly and healthily.
CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA - Dive into a spicy, creamy, and comforting bowl of colorful Cajun chicken pasta.
CHICKEN POT PIE CASSEROLE - Savor the hearty, homestyle goodness of biscuit-topped chicken pot pie casserole.
CHEESY CHICKEN PARMESAN - A classic combination of melty cheese, tomato sauce, and juicy breaded chicken baked to perfection.
Please take a moment to rate our Marry Me Chicken recipe below!
Marry Me Chicken
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts 3 chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthways
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1-½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup basil leaves fresh, diced, optional
- Season both sides of all the halved chicken breasts with the salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Add the oil and butter to a large heavy bottomed skillet and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken breasts and sear on both sides, for about 3-4 minutes on each side (until cooked through). Remove the chicken to the side.
- Add the flour and garlic to the pan and cook for a minute or two, until it’s of a paste consistency.
- Slowly add the wine, stirring and scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom. Add the tomato paste and stir in.
- Add the cream and stir again until totally combined.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, thyme, and parmesan cheese and stir until totally melted and thickened somewhat.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with spaghetti or rice.