These easy Cheese Stuffed Dried Apricots make a great cold party appetizer. And they are a colorful eye-pleaser on a serving platter.
They happen to be a great taste-bud pleaser as well. And this combination makes them a crowd-pleaser.
About Cheese Stuffed Apricots
Cheese stuffed apricots are really simple to create. This means you can prepare a large amount of cheese stuffed dried apricots in no time at all.
This appetizer is also one of the most versatile recipes in my last-minute healthy go-to appetizers.
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the biggest crowd pleasers. I love to make these stuffed apricots because they simply look so pretty when you put them on a meat and cheese platter. And they are a great cold party appetizer for all your vegetarian guests.
Last but not least, this is just about the most versatile appetizer of them all. And this is so important with appetizers. When your appetizer platters have something for everyone, your gathering is off to a great start.
Serving Suggestions - Versatility
Although I said cold, I really meant room temperature.
Take them out of the fridge about an hour before you're going to serve them. This does two things. First, it gives the cheese time to infuse the apricots with a delicate scent and flavor. Second, the apricots become a little softer as they warm up to room temperature.
I love the texture difference between cheese and apricots. And the flavors created by combining these two simple ingredients is just about as good as it gets.
Here are some suggestions if you want to vary the flavor combination to add a little sweet and tart all at once.
- Drizzle a few drops of (fresh-squeezed) orange juice over the apricots. Try it for yourself and see if that little bit of moisture plus the combination of flavors is for you.
- Don't have any Gruyere or Swiss cheese handy?
- Use a soft cheese such as goat cheese or your favorite ricotta. You will change the texture and flavor. And there's something else.
- If you use goat cheese, drizzle a little honey over the platter. With the ricotta drizzle a little truffle-infused honey for a sophisticated sweet mouth-watering flavor.
- You can see how with this selection of cheeses and honey you can quickly layout multiple platters of tasty, eye-candy appetizers for your guests. And why not some appetizers with a cheese mixture in each?!
- Finally, you could add a piece of walnut or hazelnuts but since more and more people have nut allergies I find it easiest to keep it simple!
Ingredients for the Stuffed Dried Apricots
- Dried Apricots - I use the Trader Joe's Dried Apricots for this cold appetizer recipe. But you can find very similar dried apricots at Target.
- Gruyere Cheese. If you don't have Gruyere cheese on hand, you can easily substitute Swiss cheese.
More Recipes like the Cheese Stuffed Dried Apricots
- Cut each apricot in half.
- Cut Gruyere into small cubes.
- Stuff the Gruyere cheese into the halved apricots.
- Arrange on a plate and enjoy.