Lemon Shortbread Cookies are so good. Who doesn’t love a good cookie? These no fail cookies are crisp on the outside and chewy in the center. The lemon flavor is incredibly delicious without being too tangy.
When life gives you lemons – start baking! Lemon Shortbread Cookies are among my favorite cookies and Glazed Lemon Cake is definitely my all-time favorite summer cake.
There are only five ingredients plus lemon. And they’re totally familiar ingredients so it’s pretty much impossible to go wrong! People seem to love the way the vanilla mellows the tart of the lemon flavor.
These thin shortbread cookies have a wonderful combination of textures. They are crispy all along the edges and then ever so soft and chewy in the center.
This is the kind of shortbread cookie recipe, you’ll keep reaching for over and over again. The zesty lemon combined with vanilla sweetness makes this a fabulous summer cookie recipe.
But I’ll admit I’m biased. My Oma made these cookies for family picnics all the time. In German, they are called ‘Zitronenkekse’. When use to have a picnic, it was just assumed Oma bring her Zitronenkekse.
The quantities I’m using here will make enough batter for 24 cookies. I mention this so that you know you’ll be baking in two batches or at least with two baking sheets.
DRY INGREDIENTS: Self-rising flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar
WET INGREDIENTS: Melted butter, one whole egg + one egg yolk, fresh lemon (zest + juice), vanilla extract.
How To Make These Cookies
These cookies are really easy to make. Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter and allow to cool.
- Use a hand mixer and combine the melted butter with the white and the brown sugars. Mix on medium speed until they are well combined.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix these ingredients for just a few more minutes.
- Continue to use the mixer on slow speed and add the flour. Continue to mix till you have a nice smooth thick batter.
- Use an ice-cream scoop or a heaping tablespoon to place the batter onto your baking tray.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 13 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
Tips for Success
Use unsalted butter. Don’t substitute margarine or shortening in a shortbread cookie. It just won’t work.
Don’t rush as you add ingredients into the mixing bowl. The key to a good smooth shortbread batter is to add the flour slowly.
Chill the batter in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. This stiffens the batter so it will hold its shape. If you skip this step your batter may spread out into a thin layer. You will end up with very thin cookies that will fall apart.
Shortbread cookies can be stored for several days in an air-tight container. This is a real plus because it means these cookies can be made well in advance of any event. No last minute rushing needed!
So go ahead, store these cookies for days in a pretty cookie jar. There’s something so deliciously decadent about having some home-baked cookies in the cookie jar. But if you do, you will need to make extra!
Shortbread cookies freeze really well. Just use an air-tight container or freezer bag and they’ll keep well for at least a month.
It’s best to let them reach room temperature at their own pace. But they are so thin that if you spread them on a cooling rack they will reach room temperature quickly.
More Easy Baked Goods
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cherry Crumble – This is another easy German dessert.
- Banana Bread Muffins
- Strudel Cookies
- Cherry Pound Cake – This is another delicious summer baking recipe!
Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Add butter to a small pan and melt over low heat. Allow the butter to cool.
- Use a large mixing bowl and add combine the melted butter with the white and brown sugar. Use a stand mixer and combin the ingredients on medium speed.
- Add one egg yolk + one whole egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice. Continue to mix all ingredients.
- Add the flour slowly while continuing to mix for several minutes until you have a thick, smooth batter. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Take a cookie scoop of batter at a time and place the batter on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minuntes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.