This easy recipe makes super moist, melt-in-your-mouth muffins that are easy to make and perfect for breakfast or a midday snack.
They travel well. So put a couple in your briefcase for a snack at your desk.
These simple, comforting banana bread muffins are moist, soft, and buttery. So go ahead, use up those overripe bananas on your counter, and bake these with confidence.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
YOGURT - Vanilla yogurt is a great option for this batter.
BANANAS - This is a great recipe to use up those uber-ripe bananas.
EGGS - They make these muffins airy and tender.
SUGAR - Granulated sugar works well for this recipe.
FLOUR - Self-rising flour is the base of the dough.
CINNAMON - adds a bit of warmth to the muffins
TOPPINGS - Use slivered or sliced almonds and white chocolate chips.
WALNUTS - You could also use chopped walnuts instead of sliced almonds.
PECANS - Chopped pecans are one of my favorite banana bread recipe additions.
CRANBERRIES - Adding a few cranberries to the banana bread muffin mix adds great texture and a hint of tartness.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS - Banana and chocolate are two flavors just meant for each other. Instead of shredded white chocolate, try adding a handful of milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
How To Make Banana Bread Muffins
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- WET INGREDIENTS - Combine yogurt, whisked eggs, sugar, and ONE smashed ripe banana in a large bowl. Blend all ingredients until they are well combined.
- DRY INGREDIENTSCombine self-rising flour, cinnamon, shredded white chocolate, and slivered almonds in a separate bowl.
- BATTER - Pour the dry ingredients into the batter. Blend dry and wet ingredients at medium-low speed until well combined. Fold the chopped banana pieces into the batter.
- BAKE - Pour about ⅓ cup of batter into each muffin cup. Sprinkle each muffin batter with the reserved shredded chocolate and slivered almonds. Bake for 30 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness.
Recipe Success Tip
Banana Bread Muffins are one of our family's favorite easy recipes. The kind we always go back to again and again.
No oil?! You might have noticed no oil, butter, or applesauce in this recipe. Many moons ago, I made this recipe and saw afterward that I didn't add any additional fat.
We enjoyed the moist, smooth, and ever-so-tasty muffins. And so we've omitted adding fat for shortening. It has the added benefit of reducing calories at no cost in taste or texture!
However, I also love using whole milk (vanilla) yogurt as a perfect variation to this recipe.
TIP - If you need to ripen bananas quickly, store them in a paper bag with an apple, avocado, peach, or tomato. If you want to ripen the bananas immediately, place them in their skins in a 250º oven for 15-20 minutes. Voila!
Can You Freeze The Muffins?
YES, you can! Wrap each muffin in freezer-friendly plastic wrap (aluminum foil also works). Then, put the individually wrapped muffins into a freezer-safe ziplock, and you can store the muffins for 2-3 months in the freezer.
When it's time to defrost, remove the individually wrapped muffins from the bag and thaw them on a plate for about 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
Warm them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds if you like them warmed up.
More Easy Baked Treats
- Bundt Cake
- Easy Strudel Cookies
- German Cheesecake
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Streuselkuchen ~ German Crumb Cake
Banana Bread Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin liners (or grease the muffin pan).
- Mash one banana with a fork. Dice the other banana into small pieces.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons each of slivered almonds and of chopped white chocolate.
- Use a small food processor to coarsly chop the white chocolate chips.
MAKING THE BATTER
- Use a large bowl and combine mashed banana, eggs, yogurt, and sugar. Use a hand mixer and blend the ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- Use a second bowl and combine the self-rising flour, cinnamon, and
- Spoon in about ⅓ cup of the batter into each muffin cup
- Sprinkle the batter of each muffin with the reserved shredded chocolate and slivered almonds
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness