Our 4-ingredient Hasselback Chicken recipe is a quick, versatile, and delicious meal featuring stuffed chicken that tastes as impressive as it looks and is perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
Tender, juicy chicken is smothered in barbecue sauce and stuffed with crunchy bacon and cheddar cheese, creating an unforgettable combination of flavors everyone will love.
Just like Hasselback potatoes there are plenty of ways to enjoy chicken. You probably know that the recipe originated in a Restaurant called Hasselbacken in Stockholm, Sweden.
Fun fact, my father visited this restaurant many years ago, while travelling Scandiavia, before his car broke down in the middle of nowhere in Finnland.
Why You'll Love This Hasselback Chicken Recipe
QUICK & SIMPLE - This recipe requires a few basic steps and ingredients, making it perfect for a quick weekday dinner or when you're short on time.
DELICIOUS - The combination of juicy chicken, melted cheese, crispy bacon, and tangy BBQ sauce is a crowd-pleaser.
IMPRESSIVE LOOKING - Despite its simplicity, this dish looks impressive when served. The sliced and stuffed chicken breast can make a regular dinner feel a bit fancy.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
CHICKEN BREAST - Look for good-sized skinless bonless chicken breasts. You're looking for chunky chicken breasts so you can easily cut the slits. I recommend angling the knife slightly. This will make it easier to cut and give you a bigger pocket and allow you to easily stuff the chicken with the bacon and cheese.
You could also use chicken thighs. In fact, it'll be quite flavorful, just make sure to trim off any excess fat.
BARBECUE SAUCE - This adds a tangy, sweet, and slightly smoky flavor, enhancing the overall taste of the chicken.
BACON - Brings a crispy texture and smoky flavor, offering a delightful contrast to the tender chicken.
CHEDDAR - Adds a rich, creamy, and slightly tangy element, which beautifully complements the other ingredients and helps bind the stuffing together.
How To Make Hasselback Chicken
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Make shallow cuts in chicken, not all the way through. Add salt, pepper, and barbecue sauce.
- Mix cheese and bacon. Stuff into cuts. Sprinkle any extra on top.
- Put chicken in baking dish. Bake for about 30 minutes at 375º Fahrenheit.
- Let the chicken cool a bit. Then serve.
Recipe Success Tips
SHARP KNIFE - Use a sharp knife to make the cuts in your chicken. It'll make the process easier and more precise.
DON'T CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH - Be careful not to cut all the way through the chicken. You want to create a pocket for the stuffing, not separate pieces.
SEASON WELL - Don't forget to season your chicken with salt and pepper. It seems simple, but it's crucial for good flavor.
THERMOMETER - If you're unsure whether your chicken is cooked, use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature must reach at least 165° Fahrenheit.
VEGETABLES - Roasted, steamed, or grilled veggies like broccoli, asparagus, bell peppers, or cauliflower would go well with this dish. You could also serve it with a fresh, crisp salad such as our chopped German Tomato Salad.
PASTA - A light pasta dish, like spaghetti aglio e olio (garlic and oil), would complement the rich flavors of the chicken.
QUINOA or COUSCOUS: These grains are a healthier alternative and would work well with the chicken, especially if you add some herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice.
STORE - To keep your leftovers fresh, put them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge as soon as possible. The leftover chicken will be good for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
FREEZE - For longer storage, tightly wrap leftovers or place them in a freezer-safe container, then freeze; they can be kept frozen for about 2-3 months for best quality.
REHEATING - When you're ready to enjoy your leftovers, reheat them in the microwave or oven; ensure they're heated thoroughly to at least 165°Fahrenheit.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
PAPRIKA CHICKEN - Smoky paprika makes this chicken exciting and delicious!
CHICKEN STROGANOFF - Creamy sauce, tender chicken, perfect for cozy dinners!
CHICKEN CACCIATORE - Succulent chicken simmered with tomatoes, bell peppers, and herbs.
ROASTED LEMON CHICKEN - Lemony chicken to add a zing to your meal!
CHICKEN PARMESAN - Reader favorite. Find out why thousands have made and loved this.
Please take a moment to rate the recipe below!
- Preheat your oven to 375º Fahrenheit.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board. Make 5-6 small, shallow cuts in each piece of chicken. Be careful not to cut all the way through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the barbeque sauce all over the chicken pieces. Make sure to get the sauce in the cuts. Use the remaining barbeque sauce to brush the bottom of the baking dish.
- Combine cheddar and crumbled bacon in a medium mixing bowl. Stuff the mixture into the cuts. If you have extra, you can put it on top of the chicken.
- Place the stuffed chicken pieces into a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil after 20 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken has reached an internal temperature of at least 165º Fahrenheit. Serve and enjoy.