Roasted Lemon Chicken in Caper and Olive Butter Sauce is an incredibly flavorful and delicious chicken recipe. Lightly crusted, tender, pan fried chicken breast cooked to perfection. Served in a tangy and savory caper and olive butter sauce that is topped with roasted lemon slices.
Sounds fancy? Look how easy it is to make.
Impress your guests with this restaurant quality chicken dinner. Think of this chicken dish as a Mediterranean version of chicken piccata. Best of all it’s so easy to make. And a great recipe for busy weeknights.
About Lemon Chicken
This dish looks elegant and fancy, but it’s one of the easiest recipe to impress family or guests with.
Let’s dive in how to make this simple Roasted Lemon Chicken recipe.
What You’ll Need
One of the reasons why we love this recipe is because 90% we don’t need to make a trip to the grocery store to cook this recipe. All of the items in this recipe are staples in our fridge and pantry.
- 1 – 1 1/2 pound CHICKEN BREAST, skinless, boneless
- 1/4 cup FLOUR, all purpose to dredge the chicken
- 1/3 cup OLIVE OIL, use to brush the lemon slices, remaining oil to pan fry the chicken
- 1/4 cup CAPERS, drained
- 1 cup OLIVES, sliced
- 1 cup CHICKEN BROTH
How To Make This Recipe
ROASTING THE LEMONS
- Cut 2 lemons into 6 slices.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with a touch of salt.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
PREPARING AND COOKING THE CHICKEN
- Slice each chicken breast in half. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge on both sides in flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Use a large skillet and heat the olive oil. Once hot, add chicken and cook on medium high until golden brown. About 3-5 minutes on each side.
MAKING THE SAUCE
- Add olives, capers, and chicken broth to the skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add butter. Continue to simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. About 7-10 minutes.
- Check the chicken for doneness. (Use a digital thermometer to make sure the chicken’s internal temperature has reached 165° Fahrenheit.)
- Remove the roasted lemon from the oven and place on top of the chicken. Serve over pasta and enjoy.
What to serve with Lemon Chicken
If served with short pasta, I prefer to slice the chicken into strips. I then toss the pasta, caper and olive butter sauce with the sliced chicken. Then top it with the the roasted lemon slices.
Whereas I won’t slice the chicken if I serve this chicken dish over spaghetti or linguini. It’s very similar to how I like to serve Chicken Parmesan. It’s simply a matter of presentation.
Does this recipe keep well?
You bet! This recipe is just as delicious on day two or three. Keep it in an airtight container in fridge for three to four days.
More Quick, Easy, and Delicious Dinner Ideas
- Easy Cheesy Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Meatloaf
- Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese
- Lasagna Roll Ups
Lemon Chicken with Capers and Olives
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Slice each lemon into 6 slices. Place on baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and roast for 25 minutes.
Breading the Chicken
- Slice chicken breast in half. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour. Shake off excess flour.
Cooking The Chicken
- Use a 12-inch large skillet and heat oil. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown. About 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Add capers, olives, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add butter. Continue to simmer until the sauce begins to thicken. About 7-10 minutes. Check chicken for doneness (internal temperature must at least be 165° Fahrenheit).
- Add roasted lemon. Serve over pasta of choice.