Dirty Rice with Sausage is a one-pot wonder that'll satisfy even the hungriest of crowds.
Ground beef, sausage, and a touch of Cajun seasoning come together in one pot for an easy, flavor-packed meal!
What Is Dirty Rice?
Dirty Rice is a traditional Creole and Cajun dish from Louisiana. It gets its "dirty" name from the speckled appearance of the rice, colored by the mixture of spices and browned ingredients like meat and vegetables.
You might have also heard about "Creole Dirty Rice" and wonder if it is the same as Cajun Dirty Rice.
CREOLE DIRTY RICE - typically includes more tomatoes and incorporates a wider variety of meats and seafood.
CAJUN DIRTY RICE - This version tends to be spicier and uses fewer tomatoes, focusing more on meat and traditional Cajun seasonings.
Why This Easy Dirty Rice Recipe Works
ONE-POT WONDER - Cook everything in one skillet for an easy clean-up and less mess.
VERSATILE - Feel free to swap out vegetables or meats to suit your preferences or dietary needs.
FAMILY-FRIENDLY - It’s a crowd-pleaser that will satisfy adults and kids alike.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
OLIVE OIL - Serves as a healthy cooking fat, providing a smooth base for sautéing vegetables and meats.
SAUSAGE - Use your favorite chicken sausage (we used smoked Chicken and Apple). You can also use pork or turkey sausage.
GROUND BEEF - Adds meaty depth to the dish. Opt for lean ground beef to keep the dish lighter.
YELLOW ONION - Adds sweetness and aroma.
RED BELL PEPPER - Gives the dish a pop of color and a touch of sweetness, balancing out the spicy Cajun seasoning.
CELERY - Adds a subtle earthiness and crunch, a perfect contrast to the soft texture of the rice.
GARLIC - A flavor powerhouse. A small amount delivers an aromatic flavor that rounds out the dish.
LONG-GRAIN RICE - The grain of choice for its fluffy texture. It holds up well, absorbing flavors without becoming mushy.
EXPERT TIP - If you prefer brown rice over long-grain rice, you're in luck because you can use brown rice. But remember that cooking will take longer and may require additional liquid. You may need to adjust the cooking time and the amount of chicken stock accordingly.
CHICKEN STOCK - Adds a layer of richness and flavor, elevating the dish above one made with water.
CAJUN SEASONING - Your shortcut to bold, spicy flavors. A pre-mixed blend saves time but delivers on taste.
How To Make Cajun Dirty Rice With Sausage
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- PREP AND BROWN - Rinse rice and heat oil in a skillet. Brown sausages, then ground beef.
- SAUTE VEGGIES - Remove meats and cook onion, pepper, celery, and garlic until soft.
- COMBINE - Return meats to skillet; add rice, stock, and seasoning. Stir well.
- COOK - Bring to a boil, then simmer covered until rice is tender. Serve hot.
Recipe Success Tips
SEAFOOD DIRTY RICE - Add some Gulf shrimp, crawfish, or even diced crab meat to make a seafood version of dirty rice. Seafood lovers will adore this twist.
EXTRA VEGGIES - Experiment with additional vegetables like okra, diced tomatoes, or even corn kernels for added color and flavor.
CHEESE TOPPING - For a decadent twist, melt some shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese over your finished dish.
EASY 3-INGREDIENT BREAD - A loaf of easy 3-ingredient Homemade Bread can be whipped up in no time and pairs nicely with the robust flavors of the skillet dish.
STORE - Place any leftover Dirty Rice leftovers in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It will stay good for up to 3 days.
FREEZE - If you want to keep it longer, put the leftovers in a freezer-safe container, ensuring it's sealed tightly. You can freeze it for up to 3 months.
REHEAT - To enjoy again, take the dish out of the fridge or freezer. Reheat it in a skillet on low heat. If it seems dry, add a small amount of water to help refresh the flavors.
More Recipes Easy And Delicious Ground Beef Recipes
TACO CASSEROLE - A simple yet hearty dish that combines all your favorite taco flavors in a convenient casserole.
HAMBURGER SOUP - This comforting soup brings the deliciousness of a hamburger into a warming, easy-to-make meal.
PIZZA CASSEROLE - Get the best of both worlds with this dish that melds pizza toppings and pasta into one oven-baked wonder.
LAZY LASAGNA - All the classic lasagna flavors you love are simplified into a one-pot meal that saves time and effort.
EASY SHEPHERD's PIE - A no-fuss version of Shepherd's Pie made with ground beef and mashed potatoes for a satisfying meal.
Please take a moment to rate our Dirty Rice With Sausage recipe below!
Dirty Rice With Sausage
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken sausage. Cook for 5-7 minutes until all sides are turning brown. Transfer the chicken sausage to a plate.
- Add the ground beef to the same skillet. Brown the beef over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a spatula, and cook until no longer pink. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper, celery, and minced garlic to the skillet. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return the chicken sausage to the skillet and add the rice, broth, and cajun seasoning. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet with a lid, and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Serve and enjoy.