This delightful Dutch Baby, or German Pancake, is a show-stopping comfort food guaranteed to bring smiles to your breakfast table with its puffiness and golden-brown edges.
Made from everyday staples like eggs, milk, and flour, this dish whips up in minutes and transforms into a cloud-like pancake that's perfect for your favorite toppings.
Why You'll Love This Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS - This recipe makes use of ingredients typically found in your pantry, eliminating the need for special shopping trips.
EASY TO MAKE - With just a few steps and a quick baking time, you'll have a delicious, warm pancake ready in no time.
FUN PRESENTATION - The dramatic rise of the pancake in the oven not only makes for a fun cooking experience but also results in a beautiful dish that's sure to impress.
PERFECT FOR ALL AGES - The soft, fluffy texture and comforting taste of this pancake is loved by both kids and adults alike.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
BUTTER - Ensures the pancake doesn't stick to the pan while adding a rich, savory flavor that balances the sweetness. I recommend using unsalted butter.
EGGS - Provide structure and stability to the pancake, allowing it to puff up beautifully in the oven.
MILK - Adds moisture, making the pancake tender and giving it a creamy taste.
ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR - The primary building block of the pancake, it creates the batter's body and texture.
VANILLA EXTRACT - Brings a touch of sweet aroma, adding complexity to the pancake's flavor profile.
SUGAR - Offers a hint of sweetness, enhancing the overall taste without making the pancake overly sweet.
ALLSPICE - Imparts a unique, warm flavor that sets this pancake apart and makes it especially comforting.
How To Make A Dutch Baby
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- PREHEAT & MIX - Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit with a skillet inside. Meanwhile, blend all of the batter ingredients.
- BUTTER SKILLET - Remove the hot skillet; melt butter in it.
- BAKE - Pour batter into skillet and bake for 20 minutes.
- COOL & SERVE - Cool slightly, add toppings, and serve.
Recipe Success Tips
DO NOT OVERMIX - Blend the batter until just smooth. Overmixing can lead to a dense, not fluffy, pancake.
PREHEAT THE SKILLET - Heating the skillet before adding the batter helps achieve a nice, crisp edge.
WATCH THE TIME - Make sure to bake until puffed and golden. Oven times may vary, so keep a close eye on it after 15 minutes.
LET IT COOL - Allow the pancake to cool slightly before serving. This ensures it maintains its structure when cut into.
ROOM TEMPERATURE - Make sure that your eggs, milk, and flour are all at room temperature before you start. This will help them blend together smoothly.
FRESH FRUIT - Berries, sliced bananas, or diced peaches add a colorful, fresh, and healthy touch to your pancake.
SAUCE - Adding a spoonful of tangy lemon curd adds a delightful burst of citrus flavor that perfectly complements the sweet, fluffy Baby Dutch Pancake. As you can see, I love combining lemon curd and fresh blueberries.
SWEETENERS - Drizzle with your favorite syrup or honey, or sprinkle with powdered sugar to enhance the pancake's sweetness.
CREAMY ADDITIONS - Dollop some whipped cream or a spoonful of Greek yogurt on top for a creamy texture and tangy flavor.
WARM SPICES - A sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg can add a comforting warmth and depth of flavor.
STORE - Cool the pancake completely, then cover it tightly with plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
FREEZE - Once fully cooled, wrap the pancake securely in plastic wrap, then in foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. Be sure to label it with the date!
REHEAT - Warm up a refrigerated or thawed pancake in a preheated 350° Fahrenheit oven until heated through. For a quick solution, use the microwave but watch closely to avoid making it too rubbery.
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Like
SAUSAGE & HASHBROWN CASSEROLE - A hearty, savory bake combining sausage and hashbrowns for the ultimate breakfast!
BREAKFAST LASAGNA - Packed with sausage, veggies, and cheese, this easy breakfast recipe offers a delicious and satisfying start to your day.
KAISERSCHMARRN - sweet Austrian treat featuring caramelized pancake pieces, perfect for dessert.
GERMAN APPLE PANCAKES - A delightful twist on pancakes filled with tender, spiced apples.
CORNMEAL WAFFLES - Start your day with crunchy, golden waffles made from cornmeal.
Please take a moment to rate the recipe below!
Dutch Baby (German Pancake)
- Preheat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit and place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven.
- Combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt, vanilla extract, sugar, and allspice in a mixing bowl, a blender, or a food processor. Blend until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Once the oven has reached the desired temperature, carefully remove the skillet and add the butter to the skillet. Swirl the skillet around to ensure the butter is evenly distributed and melted.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet, and return the skillet to the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pancake is puffed up and golden brown on the edges.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let the pancake cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Dust the top of the pancake with powdered sugar and serve with your toppings of choice, such as fresh fruit, whipped cream, maple syrup, or homemade lemon curd.