This tried-and-tested Banana Nut Bread recipe will give you a moist, firm, slightly sweet banana bread every time. This is a straightforward no-fuss recipe.
The batter just takes 10 minutes to prep. And baking time for this banana nut bread is 75 minutes. In less than 90 minutes you’ll have warm, moist, and slightly sweet banana bread that you can be proud of.
Banana Nut Bread
To make the dough you’ll need ripe bananas, eggs, buttermilk, and pecans (substitute walnuts if you prefer).
And you can serve this banana nut bread straight out of the oven! It’s firm enough that you can slice it even when it’s still warm.
And nothing beats a warm slice of banana bread for breakfast. Add a dollop of cream cheese for greater nutritional value.
Simply blend all the ingredients in your mixer, pour the batter into a loaf pan and in less than 90 minutes you have delicious warm banana nut bread on your table.
Not to mention that your house is going to smell amazing.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This is a light, and airy banana bread recipe and it stays that way for days. Here’s what you need to make it.
Wet Ingredients – The Moist-Makers
BANANAS – Use ripe, soft bananas. Shortcut: If your bananas aren’t ripe enough, bake a couple of unpeeled bananas at 300° Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes in the oven.
BUTTERMILK, OIL, EGGS – This is the ultimate moist-making combination and the ‘secret sauce’ in this recipe.
VANILLA EXTRACT – This is an optional ingredient but I think that the flavors really come together when you add a bit of good quality vanilla extract.
FLOUR, BAKING SODA, SUGAR – If your bananas are really ripe you can decrease the amount of sugar. But I’ve found that ½ cup of sugar adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
How To Make Banana Nut Bread
- Before you start making the batter preheat your oven to 350° degrees Fahrenheit. Use a standard-sized loaf pan and grease it with your favorite baking spray.
- Assemble all the ingredients. Begin by combining all the wet ingredients in a large bowl (here a stand mixer).
- Then slowly add the sugar, flour, and baking soda. Lastly, add the chopped nuts to the mixture. Blend on low speed until the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit. Insert a toothpick to check if the bread is fully baked.
TIP – If you are uncertain if your banana bread has fully baked through, use a toothpick to insert into the bread. If it comes out clean, you know the bread is done.
Transfer the bread onto a wire rack and cool completely before serving.
How To Store Banana Bread
When I grew up every household had bread storage containers like this one. For a while, they seemed to be a bit out of fashion. But this is what I use today to store bread. The banana bread will stay fresh for about 3-4 days.
Before eating a leftover slice, I recommend putting the bread into the microwave for about 15 seconds. There’s just something special about warm banana bread.
You can also keep the bread fresh and moist by wrapping it in saran wrap and storing it in a ziplock back.
FREEZING – Have you ever wondered if you can freeze banana bread. The answer is a resounding YES! Banana Bread is one of those things you’ll almost always find in my freezer. It’s a great homemade snack.
Banana nut bread is perfect for freezing. After the loaf has completely cooled down, cut ½ inch slices and put it into these reusable freezable bags.
You can also use Ziplock freezer bags but I’ve been on a mission to reduce single-use plastic whenever possible. The banana bread will keep for about 3 months in the freezer.
Tips and Tricks
If you are using a handheld mixer, I recommend that you first mash the bananas with a fork. Then combine the mashed banana with the wet ingredients and proceed as described above.
More Easy Baked Goods
- Chai Spiced Cookies – These are perfect fall and winter.
- Key Lime Cookies – light and refreshing
- Custard Bread Pudding – A classic dessert reimagined!
- German Cheesecake – Käsekuchen
- Banana Bread Muffins – Perfect for a quick breakfast!
Banana Nut BreadRate Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and pregrease a loaf pan.
- Cut bananas into 1-inch pieces.
- Keep the mixer on low speed and spoon in the flour and baking soda. Add the chopped pecans.
- Pour the batter into a pre-greased loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Insert a toothpick into banana bread to ensure it's fully baked. If it comes out clean, take the bread out of the oven. Put on a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature.