This Zucchini Recipe with pesto 'zoodles' and almond crusted baked cod is easy to make and perfect for a quick midweek dinner.
Ingredients for Pesto Zoodles and Almond Crusted Cod
For the Parsley-Pesto Zoodles
- Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles)
- fresh Parsley
- Pine Nuts
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
Baked Almond Crusted Cod
- fresh cod
- fresh parsley
- salt + pepper
Zoodles - A Gluten-Free Pasta Alternative
Personal Note: For a while, I cut out everything with gluten.
After a few months, I found out that it wasn't medically necessary for me to avoid all gluten. So, nowadays I will choose a gluten-free product simply because it's a delicious option.
So even though we don't have to eliminate gluten anymore, we still love the taste and texture of zucchini noodles and the fact that they are a healthier option than standard pasta.
When it comes to choosing zucchini noodles, you have two choices. Buy a spiralizer and make your own. Or pick up a pre-packaged container. I really like the Zoodles from Trader Joe's. But if you don't live near Trader Joe's try this one from Target.
Tips to Cut Down Prep Time
For this recipe, I made my own Parsley Pesto. Parsley pesto is milder than its basil cousin. But it's just as simple to make as traditional basil pesto.
And did you know you can also make pesto with fresh kale? Check out my simple 5-minute Kale Pesto recipe.
But if you want to shave off some prep time, look for a good quality storebought pesto instead.
More Alternative Pasta Recipes
- Pear and Mascarpone Pasta (made with brown rice spaghetti)
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Black Bean Mushroom Pasta
- Red Lentil Pasta Salad
Baked Almond and Parmesan Crusted Cod
Baking the Cod
- Crack 2 eggs into a shallow bowl and beat lightly. In a separate bowl combine almond flour, grated parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Next dip the cod into the egg mixture. Then transfer the cod to almond flour and parmesan mixture and coat well. Transfer the cod on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cod for 8-10 minutes. Tip: Turn on the broiler for the last 60 seconds. This will give the crust and extra crunch.
Making the Parsley Pesto
- Combine parsley, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a food processor and begin to blend on medium speed. Add olive oil and blend until you'll see the mixture form a paste-like texture.
Making Pesto Zoodles
- Transfer the pesto into a large non-stick skillet and warm over medium heat. Once the pesto mixture is hot, add the fresh zucchini noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the baked cod from the oven and serve with the hot pesto zucchini noodles. Enjoy!