This refreshing Summer Watermelon and Feta Salad has it all! Juicy watermelon, tomato, cucumber, and feta cheese are tossed in a minty lemon dressing. Simple and delicious.
This recipe is similar to our Watermelon and Orange Salad which is another quick delicious summer salad recipe with watermelon.
Watermelon - look for a small seedless watermelon or a large pre-sliced watermelon quarter. You'll need about 4 cups.
Cucumber - adds a pleasant crispy goodness
Tomato - grape (or cherry) tomatoes add that extra bit of juicy deliciousness and subtle sweetness.
Feta Cheese - Creamy and salty watermelon and feta cheese are powerful flavor combinations.
MINT - Watermelon and mint is a powerful flavor combination.
OLIVE OIL - A high-quality (extra virgin) olive oil is going to make this simple salad stand out.
LEMON - Adds a little bit of tanginess that pulls this salad together.
SALT & PEPPER - For this kind of recipe I love to use cracked black pepper. And lots of it. A dash of salt helps to intensify all of the flavors. Just keep in mind that the feta cheese is already salty, so you don’t need to add more than a pinch of two.
Variations and Additions
This watermelon salad is every bit as versatile as you want to make it a salad. You can add some of the following ingredients to make it your own.
AVOCADO - adds a bit of creaminess to the salad.
ARUGULA - if you are looking to serve this salad for lunch, try putting in on a bed of arugula. The mustardy arugula flavors go really well with this sweet and salty salad.
GRILLED CHICKEN - Add a few pieces of diced chicken and turn this salad into a light meal.
BASIL - If you have a hard time finding fresh mint, look for some fresh basil. You can also combine basil and mint to give this salad an extra layer of yumminess.
RED ONION - If you're looking to add a bit of crunchiness and zing a handful of these will go a long way.
How To Make Watermelon Salad
- Cut the watermelon into bite-sized chunks.
- Half the cherry tomatoes.
- Peel the cucumber and cut it lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the cucumber and dice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the mint leaves into small strips.
- Combine watermelon, cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese, and mint in a large bowl. Add olive oil and lemon juice. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe Success Tips
What Recipes Go Well With This Salad?
The sky is really the limit. But here's a super easy meal idea.
Use the leftover mint and make Mint Rice. This side dish recipe is perfect because you can use up both mint and feta cheese.
Add some easy no-oil Broiled Salmon and you'll have a delicious and healthy summer dinner that takes little time and effort to put on the table.
How To Choose A Good Watermelon.
- You'll find the best watermelon during the summer month. Look for watermelons that are hard with no soft spots.
- A good quality watermelon will have a paler bottom. This indicates the watermelon has been on the vine long enough to properly ripen before picking.
If you buy a whole watermelon be sure to wash it with soapy water (I use this veggie wash for all my fruits and veggies).
Slicing through the rind of the watermelon can bring some bacteria to the surface and mix with the flesh. So give it a quick wash and you don't have to worry about cross-contamination.
More Simple Summer Recipes
- Chopped Tomato Salad - chopped tomatoes in a unique smoked paprika dressing
- Greek Salad - another easy chopped salad that's perfect during hot summer months
- Oma's German Cucumber Salad - a classic from my childhood in Germany
- Green Bean and Potato Salad - this salad has both great taste and texture
- Classic Waldorf Salad - a New York classic
- Combine watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and mint in a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.