Waldorf Salad is a classic! Crisp apples, sweet grapes, crunchy celery served in a creamy dressing and topped with candied walnuts. Simple and delicious!
Its sweet, tart and crunchy flavors make this salad a perfect side dish. Add grilled chicken or salmon and you've got yourself a perfect light meal.
Waldorf Salad was first served in New York City in the late 1890s at the famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel.
Originally, this salad had only 3 ingredients: apples, celery, and mayonnaise! And it was an instant hit amongst the rich and famous who'd frequent the Waldorf Astoria.
Since then, the salad has evolved and become a classic fruit and nut salad. Look at the variations and additions section to check out more ideas to customize this salad.
Why You'll Love This Waldorf Salad Recipe
- Ease. This salad just takes a few minutes to put together.
- Taste and Texture. This is an incredibly refreshing salad.
- Lunch Salad. Adding a protein like grilled chicken turns this salad into a delicious lunch.
- Party Salad. Double the recipe and this salad is ready to make a great impression on any buffet table.
How To Make Waldorf Salad
- Candied Walnuts: Combine walnuts, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the walnuts have been well coated. Stir constantly. Transfer onto a plate and allow to cool.
- Creamy Dressing: Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, and zest until well combined and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assembling The Waldorf Salad: Combine red and green apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a large bowl. Combine with the creamy dressing. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
Variations and Additions
- Delicious Topping: Grilled chicken breast, grilled shrimp, or even broiled salmon are great additions for a classic Waldorf Salad.
- Use pecans instead of walnuts.
- Add green grapes.
- Substitute low-fat yogurt instead of mayonnaise. It'll save a few calories and will still give you a creamy tangy dressing.
- Adding raisins adds both a touch of sweetness and texture.
- Avocado might not be a typical addition but feel free to try this delicious little twist.
- Radishes are another delicious addition that adds interest to the salad
More Simple and Delicious Salad Ideas
- Egg Salad - This salad is perfect for lunch on slice of toast or even better stuffed inside a croissant.
- Tomato Salad - this easy chopped salad is incredibly refreshing and perfect for summer
- Cold German Potato Salad - made with hard boiled eggs
- Creamy Cucumber Salad - nothing says German side salad more than cucumber salad it goes with almost everything ... really
- Italian Pasta Salad - one of my favorite salads for a summer buffet
- 4 cups lettuce Boston Bib, Romaine or Iceberg
- 1 medium green apple diced
- 1 medium red apple diced
- 3-4 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- ½ cup mayonnaise Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest and juice
- Combine walnuts, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the walnuts have been well coated. Stir constantly. Transfer onto a plate and allow to cool.
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, and zest until well combined and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine red and green apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss until well combined. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
Waldorf Salad is a classic! So tasty and delicious, perfect for spring.
Such a cool and crisp salad that never goes out of style! Loved the addition of candied walnuts; spot on delicious!
Saving this wonderful salad until summer gets here. Thank you!
Definitely making this soon! Looks amazing and so delicious! Perfect for my hubby and I!
This is one of my favourite salads. So sweet and crunchy.