Enjoy our version of a classic Waldorf Salad, the perfect easy-to-make dish that brings a fresh and crunchy twist to your table.
Crunchy apples, grapes, and celery tossed in a creamy dressing and topped with candied walnuts. Simple and delicious!
This salad's sweet, tart, and crunchy flavors make it a perfect side dish. Add grilled chicken or salmon, and you have a perfect light meal.
Waldorf Salad was first served in New York City in the late 1890s at the famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel.
Originally, this salad had only 3 ingredients: apples, celery, and mayonnaise! And it was an instant hit amongst the rich and famous who'd frequent the Waldorf Astoria.
Since then, the salad has become a classic fruit and nut salad. Look at the variations and additions section for more ideas to customize this salad.
Why You'll Love This Waldorf Salad Recipe
Ease. This salad takes a few minutes to put together.
Taste and Texture. This is an incredibly refreshing salad.
Lunch Salad. Adding a protein like grilled chicken turns this salad into a delicious lunch.
Party Salad. Double the recipe; this salad is ready to make a great impression on any buffet table.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
LETTUCE - Choose from Boston Bib, Romaine, or Iceberg for a crispy base that supports the weight of the toppings.
GREEN APPLE and RED APPLE - Diced for a burst of sweet and tart flavors that invigorate the palate.
CELERY - Thinly sliced to add a refreshing crunch and a subtle, earthy note.
GRAPES - We love using red grapes. They are sweet and add a wonderful pop of color.
WALNUTS - Candied with butter and sugar for a delightful crunch and a caramelized finish.
MAYONNAISE - Miracle Whip lends a creamy texture and a light tanginess to the dressing.
LEMON - Using the juice and zest of a lemon allows us to balance the sweetness of the apples and grapes.
How To Make A Waldorf Salad
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Candied Walnuts: Combine walnuts, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the walnuts have been well coated. Stir constantly. Transfer onto a plate and allow to cool.
- Creamy Dressing: Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, and zest until well combined and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Assembling The Waldorf Salad: Combine red and green apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a large bowl. Combine with the creamy dressing. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
Variations and Additions
- Delicious Topping: Grilled chicken breast, shrimp, or even broiled salmon are great additions to a classic Waldorf Salad.
- Use pecans instead of walnuts.
- Add green grapes.
- Substitute low-fat yogurt instead of mayonnaise. It'll save a few calories and still give you a creamy, tangy dressing.
- Adding raisins adds both a touch of sweetness and texture.
- Avocado might not be a typical addition, but feel free to try this delicious little twist.
- Radishes are another delicious addition that adds interest to the salad
STORE - Keep the salad refrigerated in an airtight container. I recommend consuming the leftovers within a day. If you keep the lettuce separate, the salad will stay fresh for up to three days.
FREEZE - I don't recommend freezing this salad. It will compromise the texture.
More Simple and Delicious Salad Ideas
EGG SALAD - This salad is perfect for lunch on a slice of toast or even better, stuffed inside a croissant.
TOMATO SALAD - this easy chopped salad is incredibly refreshing and perfect for summer
COLD GERMAN POTATO SALAD - made with hard-boiled eggs
CREAMY CUCUMBER SALAD - Nothing says German side salad more than cucumber salad. It goes with almost everything.
ITALIAN PASTA SALAD - one of my favorite salads for a summer buffet
- Combine walnuts, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the walnuts have been well coated. Stir constantly. Transfer onto a plate and allow to cool.
- Whisk mayonnaise, lemon juice, and zest until well combined and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine red and green apples, celery, grapes, and walnuts in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss until well combined. Serve on a bed of lettuce.