This Lentil Stew with Chicken Sausage recipe is perfect during the cold season! Serve it over mashed potatoes, and you've got great comfort food.
Lentil Stew with Chicken Sausage - A Twist on Traditional Comfort Food
Unlike a beef stew, this lentil stew recipe has a bit of sweetness and a hint of tart, which works really well with the chicken sausage.
And then there are the lentils, I love them. Lentils are super budget-friendly and rich in nutrients. Lentils contain (relatively) high amounts of protein as well as fiber and vitamin B.
This is a tasty, healthy, and filling recipe, and the leftovers keep great overnight. And except for the chicken sausage, all of the ingredients are things you'll likely find in your kitchen.
LENTILS - A high-protein legume that is rich in fiber and nutrients like iron, folate, and magnesium.
CHICKEN SAUSAGE - A flavorful and lower-fat alternative to pork sausage, made with ground chicken and spices.
CHICKEN SAUSAGE - A savory liquid made by simmering chicken bones, vegetables, and herbs, often used as a base for soups and stews.
OLIVE OIL - Used to sauté garlic and onions.
ONION - A versatile and aromatic vegetable that is used for flavor and texture.
GARLIC - A pungent and flavorful herb that adds a bit of a kick.
CELERY - Add crunch and is mild in flavor and thus perfect for our stew.
CARROTS - Baby carrots are great because they cook fast and taste sweet and delicious, balancing the heartier flavors.
MUSTARD - For this recipe, I prefer Dijon mustard because it's both tangy and smooth and adds just the right amount of earthy flavors.
VINEGAR - Red wine vinegar is a tart and fruity vinegar that adds acidity and brightness to this lentil stew.
MAPLE SYRUP - A natural sweetener adds a subtle bit of sweetness and balances the acidity.
How to make a Chicken Sausage and Lentil Stew?
- Cook the lentils according to the package instructions.
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions, garlic, and celery until tender.
- Add baby carrots, dijon mustard, vinegar, chicken stock, and maple syrup. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Next, add the browned sausage and cooked lentils to the mix and cook for another minute. Serve and enjoy.
More simple Recipes
- Pesto Zoodles with Baked Cod
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Pear and Mascarpone Pasta (made with brown rice spaghetti)
- Red Lentil Pasta Salad
Lentil Stew with Chicken Sausage
Cooking the Lentils
- Rinse and drain the lentils. Bring 3 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add the lentils. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes.
Preparing the Ingredients
- Chop the onion, garlic, celery, and parsley. Slice the baby carrots in half.
Preparing the Stew
- Cut the chicken sausage into ¼ inch pieces and brown in a large skillet over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove sausage from the skillet. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to the skillet. Once hot, add onion, garlic, and celery. Sauté until mixture is translucent and tender, about 8 minutes. Add baby carrots.
- Add mustard, ½ cup chicken stock, vinegar, maple syrup, and salt. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Combine the browned chicken sausage and cooked lentils with the vegetables and cook for one minute. Serve and enjoy.