This recipe takes oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts to the next level!
The combination of sweet and savory flavors is simply divine. Adding bacon makes it extra special and perfect for a Thanksgiving or Sunday dinner side dish.
About Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Cooking confession. I don't know about you, but way back I used to loathe brussels sprouts. Who doesn't remember growing up the dreaded words 'eat your brussels sprouts'.
Well, I remember staring at a plate of small, green, somewhat mushy looking balls of yuck (not an official foodie term, I know). And the only type of brussels sprouts I knew was boiled ones. And they were not nice. That was then.
Years later, I went out to dinner with some friends and someone ordered roasted brussels sprouts as a shared appetizer. To be honest, I kind of thought it was a bit weird. But that day started my love affair with roasted brussels sprouts.
From that moment I began roasting brussels sprouts all the time for dinner. It's so quick and easy and it tastes so good!!
The roasting process changes not just the texture but also the flavor. And what was once a drab looking side dish has now become one of the stars among my side dishes.
Most of the time I'll simply toss the brussels sprouts with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
In this recipe, we'll take it a step further by adding a maple butter and some bacon. Mark this recipe for your Thanksgiving dinner.
- brussels sprouts
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- unsalted butter
- maple syrup
How To Make Maple Butter Brussels Sprouts with bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Line two baking sheets with aluminium foil or parchment paper.
- Clean the brussels sprout, remove the outer most layer, and quarter it.
Roasting The Sprouts and Bacon
- Combine brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer onto the first baking sheet.
- Place the bacon onto the second baking sheet.
- Put both baking sheets in the oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes.
Combining The Sprouts
- Heat butter over medium-high heat until it is brown and bubbly (don't burn). Whisk in maple syrup.
- Remove sprouts and bacon from the oven. Transfer brussels sprouts to a serving bowl.
- Pat dry the bacon and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Add to the brussels sprouts.
- Top with maple butter and coat both brussels sprouts and bacon well.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips for Handling Brussels Sprouts
- When you're looking to buy brussels sprouts make sure that you're looking for bright green colored sprouts.
- You'll also want to make sure that there are no brown or yellow discolorations.
- Sprouts that are smaller have more flavor than oversized ones.
Roasting Brussels Sprouts
When it comes to roasting sprouts, you can choose to blanch them first.
If you're going to do that you'll have to toss the brussels sprouts into boiling water for about two minutes. The idea is that you want to soften them just a little bit. Drain the sprouts and pat dry the excess moisture. Then cut the brussels sprouts in half and roast them in the oven.
Do you have to do this step? No. I only do it when I have a lot of very large brussels sprouts. But it's an easy way to quickly tenderize the sprouts.
More Side Dishes
Maple Syrup Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasting the Sprouts
- 3 strips bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400° Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil (or silpats). Set aside.
- Combine sprouts and olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer onto baking sheet. Lay out strips of bacon onto the second baking sheet.
- Set timer for 10 minutes. Flip the brussels sprouts to ensure they roast evenly. Set the timer for an additional 8 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from the oven. Pat dry bacon and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Combine roasted brussels sprouts and bacon bits in a serving bowl.
Making the Maple Butter
- Use a small saucepan and melt the butter until golden brown. Whisk in maple syrup and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Whisk frequently.
Putting it Together
- Drizzle maple butter over brussels sprouts and bacon and coat well. Serve immediately.