You can think of Taco Tater Tot Casserole as the Mexican recipe version of a Shepherd's Pie.
This ground beef casserole is loaded with delicious Mexican food flavors, topped with tater tots, and finished with a layer of cheese. It's a real family favorite.
Our family loves this flavorful, easy-to-make dinner recipe. It's perfect all year round and, of course, a must-have on Cinco de Mayo!
Why This Tater Tot Casserole Recipe Works
EASY - This casserole is easy to prep for. And chances are that you won't have to go shopping to make this meal. You'll probably have all the ingredients in your fridge and pantry.
FLAVOR -This recipe is very flavorful and has a great texture.
CUSTOMIZE - Substituting ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken makes delicious recipe spin-offs.
FREEZER-FRIENDLY - Turning this casserole into a freezer meal is easy. See Recipe Success Tips for a detailed explanation.
For a printable detailed ingredient list, please check the recipe card below.
BEEF - I use lean ground beef (90/10). It has the right amount of fat to sauté the onions.
FILLING - Once the ground beef onion mixture has been cooked, add taco mix, green chili, diced tomatoes, corn, and black beans. Enchilada sauce is layered on the bottom of the casserole dish, and the remaining sauce goes atop the tater tots.
TOPPING - Frozen tater tots and shredded cheddar cheese. Once out of the oven, I add sliced black olives (or green olives) and chopped fresh tomato. This recipe is perfect with fresh guacamole and a dollop of sour cream.
Variations and Additions
- You can substitute ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken, or a combination of both.
- Instead of black olives, you can also use green ones.
- For serving, I recommend shredded romaine lettuce.
- More Topping Ideas: fresh cilantro, green onions, avocado. Adding a dollop or two of sour cream is quite delicious, too.
- For a bit of extra heat, add some jalapenos.
How To Make This Taco Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Saute ground beef, onions, and garlic in a large skillet.
- Combine the ground beef mixture with canned tomatoes, green chiles, corn, and black beans.
- Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Transfer the beef mixture to the casserole dish. Top with a single layer of tater tots. Sprinkle with the remaining enchilada sauce and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 400° Fahrenheit until the cheese has melted. Top with black olives and diced tomatoes.
Serve over a bed of shredded lettuce. It's an easy way to sneak in a bit of salad. A side of sour cream, avocado, and a sprinkle of cilantro are optional but add extra deliciousness.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil (or use this casserole dish with a fitted cover!). The casserole will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Freezer Meal - Taco Tater Tot Casserole
If you like to meal prep. Try this freezer meal version of the recipe.
- Follow the recipe instructions - except don't bake the casserole.
- Cover the casserole dish with a layer of cling film and the second layer of aluminum foil. Wrap tight. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- When it's time to cook, you don't have to defrost the casserole. Remove the plastic film and aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 400° Fahrenheit.
More Easy and Delicious Casserole Recipe Ideas
CHICKEN PARMESAN CASSEROLE - Find out why thousands love THIS recipe!
CHEESY MEATBALL CASSEROLE - Juicy meatballs, a savory marinara sauce, and topped off with a layer of gooey, melted cheese.
BEEF AND BEAN CASSEROLE - The entire family can't get enough of a high-protein casserole.
HAM AND NOODLE CASSEROLE - A classic German 'Nudelauflauf.'
SAUSAGE AND HASH BROWN CASSEROLE - Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Use a large skillet and brown the beef over medium heat. Once the beef has started to release some of the fat, add onions and garlic. Continue to cook until the beef is no longer pink. About 7-10 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium and add black beans, corn, green chili, taco mix, and diced tomatoes. Combine well.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of enchilada sauce and spread over the bottom of the casserole dish. Transfer the beef and bean mixture into the casserole dish. Add one layer of tater tots.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tater tots. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and bake uncovered at 400° Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and top with diced fresh tomato and black olives. Serve and enjoy.