This tasty Red Potato Salad recipe has only 5 simple ingredients! And you can serve it in just about 20 minutes. Steaming hot tender red potatoes are combined with olives, fresh mint, feta cheese, and olive oil.
Despite using only a few ingredients, it's bursting with flavor and it's absolutely delicious.
About RED Potato Salad
This is another simple and fun salad recipe that you can enjoy both hot and cold.
Typically I'll try to serve it hot the first night and then will use the leftovers for lunch the next day. And like so many salads the flavors really develop overnight.
Ingredients for this recipe
- red potatoes.
- olives. Kalamata olives work great.
- feta cheese. Use crumbled feta cheese or chop a block of feta cheese into quarter-inch pieces.
- mint. Use fresh mint. And if you have leftovers you can always use it to make a classic mojito. 😉
- olive oil. Look for high-quality olive oil for this recipe. Good quality olive oil is key to a tasty salad. There are lots of great olive oils to choose from. This is one of my favorite olive oils.
How To Make Greek Red Potato Salad
- Boil the baby red potatoes until fork tender. About 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Once cooked, halve (or quarter) the steaming red potatoes and put them in a large salad bowl.
- Slice half a cup of olives and mince fresh mint.
- Combine sliced olives, minced mint, crumbled feta cheese, and extra virgin olive oil with the steaming hot potatoes.
- Make sure the potatoes are evenly coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
When you season the potatoes with salt and pepper, start out with just a little bit of salt. I actually skip salt altogether in this recipe because Feta cheese has plenty of salt undertones.
Favorite Party Salads
- Amish Macaroni Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Curry Chicken Salad
How To Store This Salad
The best method to store potato salad is to keep it in an airtight glass container like this one. You can easily keep it in the fridge for 3-5 days. I actually think that it tastes best the day after making it because it allows the flavors to fully unfold.
Take the potato salad out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you plan to eat. I've never enjoyed really cold salad and think they taste much nicer once they have reached room temperature.
Can You Freeze Red Potato Salad
Meeehhh... technically speaking you can freeze potato salad. But I don't recommend it.
Once you thaw the potato salad it simply doesn't taste the same and loses its texture. And freezing feta cheese ... again it can be done, but it's not a great idea.
Greek Red Potato Salad
- Boil the baby red potatoes until soft, about 18-20 minutes. Once cooked, halve or quarter the potatoes and transfer into a large salad bowl.
- While the potatoes are boiling, slice olives and finely chop the mint.
- In a large salad bowl combine red baby potatoes with the sliced olives, chopped mint, and crumbled feta cheese, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.