Making Frozen Shrimp in the Air Fryer is a quick way to create an appetizer, a salad topping, or a main dish. The shrimp are nice and crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.
Combine your favorite brand of frozen shrimp with an Old Bay Seasoning mix, and you've got the start to a quick and wonderful meal.
Why Our Frozen Air Fryer Shrimp Recipe Works
- CONVENIENCY -With no need to thaw, this Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp recipe offers a quick and convenient way to enjoy delicious shrimp at home.
- TEXTURE - The air frying method ensures a crispy exterior while keeping the shrimp tender and juicy on the inside.
- SEASONING - Combining Old Bay Seasoning and garlic powder enhances the shrimp's taste, offering a savory and well-seasoned flavor.
- TIME-SAVING - Preparing in just under 20 minutes, this recipe is perfect for those seeking a quick and satisfying meal.
- VERSATILE SERVING OPTIONS - Whether paired with dipping sauces, used in tacos, or as a main dish, this recipe allows you to customize our recipe to suit your preferences.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
SHRIMP - Raw frozen shrimp are perfect for this recipe. They have a mild, sweet flavor and a tender texture when cooked. Using frozen shrimp ensures freshness and lets you keep them on hand for a quick dinner and easy meal. If frozen shrimp are unavailable, fresh shrimp can be used, just make sure they are thoroughly thawed, cleaned, and deveined before cooking. Also, the time it takes to cook the shrimp will depend on the type of air fryer and size of the shrimp. Jumbo shrimp will take longer to cook than smaller shrimp.
OLD BAY SEASONING - Old Bay Seasoning is a classic blend of herbs and spices that adds a rich and savory depth of flavor to the shrimp. If you don't have Old Bay Seasoning, you can create a similar blend using a combination of celery salt, paprika, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. You can also use your favorite seasoning.
GARLIC POWDER - Garlic powder complements the Old Bay Seasoning. It also adds a savory depth to the shrimp without the sharpness of fresh garlic. If you prefer a strong garlic flavor, you can substitute it with finely minced fresh garlic.
NON-STICK COOKING SPRAY - Non-stick cooking spray ensures that the shrimp achieves a crispy texture without a lot of oil during air frying. If you don't have cooking spray, brush your shrimp with some cooking oil, like olive or vegetable oil.
How To Make Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Place the frozen shrimp in a bowl; no need to thaw.
- Season the shrimp with Old Bay and garlic powder, ensuring an even coat.
- Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes until crispy and golden.
APPETIZER - Serve your tender shrimp with your preferred dipping sauce and favorite side dish. Cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, chipotle mayo sauce, a squeeze of lemon juice, or your favorite sauce are great choices to enhance their flavors.
MAIN DISH - You can also have them with a rice bowl, shrimp tacos, and many other main dishes. For instance, you can use the air fryer shrimp for our Shrimp Carbonara recipe.
- EVEN COATING - Make sure each shrimp is evenly coated with the seasoning for consistent flavor in every bite.
- SINGLE LAYER - Spread the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking and crispiness.
- CHECK HALF-WAY - Give them a quick flip halfway through cooking to guarantee that perfect golden exterior all around.
- WATCH THE CLOCK - Keep an eye on the time; shrimp cook quickly, and you don't want to overdo them.
STORE - Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
FREEZE - For longer storage, freeze the cooked shrimp on a baking sheet before transferring it to a freezer bag.
REHEAT - Place the cooked shrimp in the air fryer at 350º Fahrenheit for 5 minutes to reheat the cooked shrimp.
Commonly Asked Questions
What's the best part about cooking shrimp in the air fryer?
The best part about cooking shrimp in the air fryer is that it takes less time and uses less oil than traditional methods, providing a quick and convenient cooking option for busy weeknights.
What's the recommended internal temperature for perfectly cooked shrimp in the air fryer?
The recommended internal temperature for perfectly cooked shrimp in the air fryer is 145° Fahrenheit. Use a food thermometer to make sure they reach this temperature.
Can I use the air fryer to reheat leftover shrimp?
The air fryer is a great cooking method for reheating leftover shrimp. It ensures that your delicious shrimp remains crispy. To reheat them, place them in the air fryer at 350º Fahrenheit for a few minutes until they reach your desired temperature.
What's the best way to cook larger shrimp in the air fryer?
For larger shrimp, I recommend butterflying them before air frying. This ensures that your butterfly shrimp are evenly cooked and allows for a juicy shrimp with a crispy exterior.
How do I ensure even cooking when making air fryer shrimp?
To ensure even cooking when making shrimp in the air fryer, arrange them in a single layer at the bottom of your air fryer basket. This will guarantee that you'll end up with perfect shrimp.
Can I air-fry frozen shrimp directly without thawing?
Yes, air fryers are designed to cook frozen foods well. Simply place the frozen shrimp in the air fryer basket and cook them without thawing for a convenient and quick meal.
Do I need to add oil when air-frying frozen shrimp?
Though this recipe calls for it, it's not necessary. Air fryers use hot air circulation to cook, which provides a healthier alternative to traditional frying.
How do I prevent the frozen shrimp from sticking to the air fryer basket?
Lightly coat the air fryer basket or shrimp with oil to prevent sticking. You can use parchment paper or an air fryer liner.
More Easy and Delicious Recipes
AIR FRYER BISCUITS - We show you how easy it is to make Air Fryer biscuits from scratch.
AIR FRYER CHICKEN CUTLET - one of my favorite easy air fryer recipes.
SLOW COOKER BEEF TERIYAKI - Unlike the Air Fryer, this recipe takes time to cook, but the prep time only takes a few minutes.
Please take a moment to rate our Air Fryer Shrimp recipe below!
Air Fryer Shrimp
- Preheat the air fryer 400º Fahrenheit.
- Place the frozen raw shrimp in a large bowl. This can be done directly from the freezer; there's no need to thaw. Lightly spray the shrimp with non-stick cooking spray, making sure each piece gets coated.
- Combine the Old Bay Seasoning and garlic powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over the shrimp and gently toss to ensure an even coating.
- Place the seasoned shrimp inside in a single layer. Don't overcrowd them.
- Close the air fryer basket and set the timer for 10 minutes. Check the shrimp halfway through the cooking time and turn them over. Keep an eye on the shrimp to keep them from overcooking.
- Transfer the cooked shrimp with kitchen tongs to a serving plate and serve.