Our Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is fresh, moist, tender, and full of sweet and citrusy flavors. It makes the perfect breakfast, midday snack, or after-dinner dessert and easy to make.
This lemon poppy seed loaf combines the zesty tang of lemon in a moist and flavorful loaf that's finished with a sweet and tangy lemon glaze.
Why Our Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Works
ZESTY & JUICY - Each slice is full of lemony goodness.
SOFT & TENDER - Just right, not too heavy, perfect with your favorite brew.
ANYTIME TREAT - It fits right in from lazy mornings to fancy teas.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
BUTTER - As in all of my baking, I used unsalted butter for this recipe.
SUGAR - The granulated sugar can be substituted with brown sugar or a combination of ½ cup granulated sugar and ½ cup brown sugar.
EGGS - I used 3 large eggs for this recipe.
LEMON - Fresh lemon juice tastes best in this recipe. Adding the lemon zest adds both flavor and texture.
VANILLA - The vanilla extract can be substituted with 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste.
FLOUR - Use a regular all-purpose flour.
POPPY SEEDS - Be sure not to add too many poppy seeds to the batter. Adding excessive poppy seeds may cause the batter to thicken up.
BAKING POWDER and SALT - Help the loaf to rise.
MILK - I chose whole milk for this recipe.
POWDERED SUGAR - The base for the lemon frosting.
How To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla, mixing well.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and salt. Add milk and beat until the batter is smooth, then pour it into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350º Fahrenheit. Use a wooden toothpick to check for doneness. Allow to cool completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice together for the glaze until smooth and drizzle over the cooled loaf.
ENJOY WITH A CUP OF TEA - A warm cup of Earl Grey or Chamomile tea pairs wonderfully with the zesty flavors of the loaf.
TOP WITH A SCOOP OF ICE CREAM - For an indulgent dessert, serve a warm slice of loaf with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or blueberry ice cream.
CREAM - Add a dollop of fresh cream. You can also try our mint whipped cream. Lemon flavor and mint are a delicious combination of flavors.
Planning and Leftovers
STORE - The best way to store poppy seeds is in an airtight container in a cool, dark place like a pantry or cupboard. You can store it at room temperature for up to 3 days.
FREEZE - Wrap the loaf or individual slices in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Make sure to label the slices before putting them into the freezer. You can freeze them for up to 3 months.
REHEAT - Thaw at room temperature if frozen, then gently warm in the oven or microwave to revive that
Recipe Success Tips
DON'T OVERMIX - Mix the ingredients until combined to keep the loaf light and tender.
DONENESS - Use a toothpick to test the loaf. It should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
COOL PROPERLY - Let the loaf cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. This prevents it from becoming soggy.
GLAZE TO PERFECTION - Adjust the lemon glaze to your liking. If it's too thick, add a little more lemon juice; if it is too thin, whisk in a bit more powdered sugar.
Commonly Asked Questions
Do I need to use a stand mixer?
Not at all. You can use a regular electric mixer. If you are using a stand mixer, make sure to use the paddle attachment and scrape the sides several times with a rubber spatula.
What size of loaf pan is best?
I prefer an 8.5x4.5 inch loaf pan (linked in the recipe card). Using a larger loaf pan will result in smaller slices.
More Easy and Delicious Quick Breads
BANANA NUT BREAD - Classic buttermilk banana bread with pecans.
ZUCCHINI BREAD - Gently spiced, moist, and tender bread.
ICE CREAM BREAD - 2 ingredients, infinite possibilities.
CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD - rich, moist banana bread with chocolate chips.
Please take a moment to rate our Lemon Popp Seed Bread recipe below!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high until pale and creamy. About 3 minutes. Add the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and continue to beat on a medium-high.
- Add flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and salt. Beat on a low speed until well combined. Reduce speed to low speed and add the milk. Continue to beat until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. Use a wooden toothpick to check for doneness. Allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a wire cooling rack.
- To make the lemon glaze, add the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth and well combined, adding more lemon juice if needed until a drizzling consistency is reached. Drizzle over the cooled cake.