Chocolate chips embedded in chocolate cookies - there's no better way to indulge your sweet tooth than with these delicious and easy-to-make Double Chocolate Chip Cookies.
For this recipe, we'll only need a little bit of plain flour (just half a cup!) and a lot of chocolate!
These are the kind of treats you can't help but enjoy. They're so full of chocolatey goodness that they'll make anyone feel like a kid again!
Make them as snacks or desserts, give out some as sweet little gifts this holiday season - these will be perfect additions to any gathering.
A Chocolate Lover's Dream
Everyone knows that chocolate brings happiness, so why not make cookies with twice as much?
This Double Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe consists of a creamy chocolate batter and is filled with chocolate chips.
It has a luscious brownie-like, soft center, crisp outer crust and is generously dotted with chocolate chips in every bite.
So if you have tried my White Chocolate Chip Cookies and loved them, then you will absolutely adore these!
Why We Love This Recipe
EASE. You'll just need 5 pantry ingredients to make these super easy 30-minute chewy chocolate cookies.
SIMPLE. It is simple enough to make a big batch of and store for later. They are perfect for entertaining guests, especially during the holidays.
TEXTURE. This recipe is a family favorite! They will be moist and chewy, almost fudgy on the inside, and crisp around the edges.
VERSATILITY. The best part about this easy cookie recipe is that it can easily be adapted to work with any chocolate chip (or even nuts!) with a few adjustments.
Chocolate chips - I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in two batches. The first batch is for melting and mixing into the batter, while the rest is folded in before baking.
Flour. All-purpose flour is perfect for making moist and chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Baking Powder - this will give the cookies a lift and makes them softer too.
Brown Sugar - gives a deep caramelized flavor to the cookies that make them richer and tastier.
Eggs- acts as a binder and gives the cookies a sturdy structure as they bake.
Honey - If you're asking for a secret ingredient. This is it! Honey adds natural sweetness to the cookies and helps them to stay super moist for days! I recommend using a darker honey (I used this one) for extra flavor.
Salt - Don't skip. A sprinkling of salt intensifies the chocolate flavor.
How To Make Easy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Melt half of the chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl whisk sugar, eggs, and honey.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the mixture and combine well.
- Add dry ingredients. Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes at 350º Fahrenheit. To cool place on wire racks.
Tips in Making the Perfect Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- You have to use room temperature butter in this cookie recipe because it gives off moisture as it bakes, making these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies soft and chewy. It's important not to skip this step because your cookies will turn out dry and hard otherwise.
- You can also melt the chocolate chips by placing a heat-proof bowl on top of a slightly smaller pot filled with simmering water. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted.
- If you do not have a stand mixer, you can instead use a wooden spoon to mix all the ingredients together. It'll require a bit more effort and time, but it'll be worth it!
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure that all the ingredients will be incorporated into the dough.
- I recommend using an ice cream or cookie scoop to make same-sized dough balls. This ensures that the cookies bake evenly. However, if you do not have those, just use a measuring cup and roll them into cookie dough balls using your hands.
- The baking time will vary on the size of the cookies and the type of oven you use. A good indication that your cookies are done is when they turn golden brown with crisp edges.
- The cookies will come out golden but still soft after baking. Keep them in the baking sheet to cool and harden before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Variations and Substitutions
Chocolate. You can use unsweetened cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate if you prefer. It will give you a rich chocolate flavor too! Also, if you happen to have milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate chips, feel free to use them. But only for folding into the batter, not for melting.
Nuts. You can add some nice crunch and more flavor by mixing chopped pecans, almonds, or macadamia into your chewy cookies.
GLUTEN-FREE. You can make this recipe gluten-free. Substitute your favorite gluten-free flour. Most baking powder brands are gluten-free but it's always best to double-check. And always check instructions for flour-liquid ratio when swapping.
How To Store and Store This Recipe
For the best experience serve the double chocolate chip cookies while they are still warm.
The best part about this recipe is how the chocolate melts in your mouth.
If you looking for a classic cookie experience. Enjoy the cookies with a big glass of milk. To me, there's nothing better than a cup of hot coffee with my cookies.
Any leftover cookies should be placed in an airtight container or tightly sealed cookie jar after they have cooled down. The cookies will stay fresh for up to 7 days.
If you wish to store them longer, place them in a sealed freezer bag and keep them frozen for 3 months.
Raw dough can be frozen for up to 4 months.
Place the dough on a cookie sheet and freeze for an hour to set. Once frozen transfer the cookies into a freezer-safe bag. Do not forget to label it with the date.
When it's time to bake the frozen cookies, let them thaw for at least 20 minutes and bake as instructed.
More Cookie Recipes You'll Love
- Banana Pudding Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Vanillekipferl - German Almond Crescent Cookies
- Pistachio Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Melt 1 ½ cup of chocolate chips in the microwave. Use 30 seconds intervals. Remove after each interval and mix the chocolate. Once the chocolate has almost completely melted remove and set aside. Allow to cool while preparing the batter.
- Preheat 350º Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Making The Batter
- In a large bowl, beat honey. brown sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the batter and beat until creamy.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and continue to mix until well combined. Fold in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and freeze for 5 minutes. Use a 1-inch cookie scoop and drop the batter on the baking sheet. *Optional: Decorate with one chocolate morsel on top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. ENJOY!