Our deliciously moist and tender Carrot Cake Cupcakes are easy to make and perfect for parties or a tasty treat at home.
We made our cupcakes with a classic combination of carrots, walnuts, and a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting.
Why Our Carrot Cake Cupcake Recipe Works
INGREDIENTS - This recipe uses easy-to-find ingredients you might already have in your fridge and pantry.
FLAVORS - The blend of cinnamon and allspice offers a warm, comforting taste that perfectly complements the sweetness of the carrot and the nuttiness of the walnuts.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING - The smooth and rich frosting elevates these cupcakes from good to great, providing a creamy contrast to the spiced cake base.
Please check the recipe card below for a detailed, printable ingredient list.
ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR - Creates the structure of the cupcakes, keeping them soft but sturdy.
BAKING POWDER - Gives the cupcakes their rise, making them fluffy and light.
CINNAMON and ALLSPICE - These spices add a warm and comforting flavor that compliments the carrots and walnuts.
EGGS - Provide moisture and structure, helping to bind all the ingredients.
SUGAR - We'll need granulated and brown sugar for our cupcakes. This will ensure a light and airy texture.
VANILLA - A little goes a long way. I recommend using pure vanilla extract or you can also use vanilla bean paste.
CARROTS - If you don't want to spend time shredding carrots, you can buy bagged carrot shreds in most supermarkets.
WALNUTS - Give a crunchy texture and a nutty flavor.
BUTTER, CREAM CHEESE, and POWDERED SUGAR - This combination ensures a smooth, silky frosting. As always, I recommend using unsalted butter.
RAISINS - Although not part of this recipe, you can add a half cup of raisins to the batter. For best results, soak the raisins for a few minutes in water. Drain excess moisture and add the raisins with the carrots and walnuts to the batter.
How To Make The Best Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Please check the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- Whisk eggs, sugars, vanilla. Mix flour, baking powder, and spices.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Stir in grated carrots and walnuts.
- Line muffin tins. Fill with lined tins with the batter and bake at 350º Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Make the cream cheese frosting and top the cupcake with the frosting.
Recipe Success Tips
SOFTENED CREAM CHEESE - Make sure your cream cheese is soft before you start making the frosting for an easier and smoother mixing experience.
TOOTHPICK TEST - To ensure your cupcakes are baked to perfection, use the toothpick test. If it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, they're ready.
ROTATE THE TIN - For a consistent bake, make it a point to rotate your muffin tin halfway through the cooking time.
VANILLA ICE CREAM - Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
CARAMEL DRIZZLE - A drizzle of caramel sauce over the frosting can boost the sweetness.
FRUIT GARNISH - Fresh berries or sliced bananas can add a fruity balance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of oil instead of vegetable oil?
You can use canola oil or coconut oil if you prefer. Just keep in mind this may affect the texture of the cupcakes.
Can I make the cupcakes without eggs?
You can use a vegan egg substitute, such as applesauce or mashed banana, but keep in mind that the texture and flavor of the cupcakes may be different.
Can I make the cupcakes mini or jumbo-sized?
Yes, you can adjust the baking time and make the cupcakes smaller or larger as desired. Keep in mind that the baking time may need to be adjusted accordingly.
STORE - It is generally safe to store cupcakes with cream cheese frosting at room temperature for up to 2 days, as long as the room is not too warm. However, cream cheese frosting contains dairy and can spoil if left at room temperature for too long.
If you live in a warm or humid climate, it is best to refrigerate the cupcakes to prevent the frosting from melting or becoming too soft.
FREEZE - I don't recommend freezing these cupcakes once you add the frosting. But you can freeze the unfrosted cupcakes. The cupcakes have to have cooled down completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and place into a freezer bag. Freeze for up to three months.
More Easy And Delicious Dessert Recipes
PUMPKIN BARS - Gently spiced with the best fall flavors.
BANANA CAKE - Made with ripe bananas and topped with a tangy sour cream frosting.
BLUEBERRY MUFFINS - The softest, most tender, and moist muffins
BANANA PUDDING COOKIES - Easy-to-make cookies are not only soft, moist, and chewy.
CHRISTMAS DUMP CAKE - delicious and easy-to-make dessert perfect for any holiday gathering.
Please take a moment to rate our Carrot Cake Cupcake recipe below!
Carrot Cake Cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each liner about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness. Adjust baking time if necessary. See note 1*
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Sift the powdered sugar in the bowl and beat to low speed.
- Once the ingredients are well incorporated, keep beating for about 5 minutes until the mixture begins to firm up.
- Add the cold cream cheese and beat to medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Finish the cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting. You can use a piping bag and tip to create decorative swirls or spread the frosting with a knife or spatula.
- If desired, decorate with orange zest and chopped walnuts.